Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to use the dialog routine to create a bash shell menu application. When I display any of the boxes using dialog, I do not see the nice ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dialog box showing graphic characters

I am trying to use the dialog routine to create a bash shell menu application. When I display any of the boxes using dialog, I do not see the nice graphics but instead various ASCII special characters (like an "n" with a tilde over it instead of a horizontal bar). I have tried it using different terminal emulations from putty to my server box running Ubuntu 8.10. Is there a configuration change I need to make to get the proper graphic characters displayed in dialog, or is the problem in my terminal display?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Jim

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I just tried some simple ones (--infobox and --yesno) on my CentOS system and it worked just fine. Since this is obviously a curses application, then if your termcap/terminfo database is ok you should not have any problems. Xterms are mostly vt100 compatible (with extra goodies). Anyway, it even handled the mouse click properly when the x-windows cursor was positioned over one or the other "buttons" in the yesno box.

So, what distribution+version and desktop+version are you running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I am running the script on an Ubuntu 8.10 machine. More importantly, I am accessing it from an XP box using PenguiNet and Putty.

I did find out that I could get it to work using Putty if I selected the "Use font in both ANSI and OEM modes" under Translation options. But since I really like PenguiNet, I'd like to get it to work there. I have tried it in Linux, xterm and vt100 modes.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Yes, but you probably need to set your terminal setting. Check your TERM environment variable to be sure it is getting the right terminfo database setting. It may be that your PenguiNet is confusing the shell as to what terminal it should look like.

Just Joined!
    Good idea - but nope, it is being set correctly. The fact that putty also have the same problem in putty (unless I change a configuration value) seems to suggest to me that the problem lies in my PenguiNet terminal emulator. I've contacted PenguiNet to see if there is something I can modify to get it to work.

Thanks for the ideas! If you have more, let me know.

Sorry. I've never used (nor heard of) PenguiNet before. I've written my share of terminal emulators in the deep dark past, and they didn't have such problems...