Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, Currently running opensuse 10.3 and have some C++ code. Is there a *really* good debuger out there for Linux? Something that is easy to work with but graphically ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

best C++ Linux debugger?

Hello all,

Currently running opensuse 10.3 and have some C++ code.

Is there a *really* good debuger out there for Linux? Something that is easy to work with but graphically oriented?

TIA

gdb has a front end, its called xxgdb, the terms you are using are quite subjective, what is easy for me may not be easy for you, gdb is the standard for debugging c and c++ on linux

Just Joined!
    I'm using OpenSuse as well, using Kdbg as debugger. It has everything I need, don't know xxgdb myself.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by morfanaion View Post
    I'm using OpenSuse as well, using Kdbg as debugger. It has everything I need, don't know xxgdb myself.
    Kdbg is just a graphical front end for GNU's gdb...Gerard4143
    Make mine Arch Linux

Just Joined!
    true. though from what coopsta says, xxgdb sounds like that's just a graphical front end as well. But in the end, what do you work with? I can't work with just GDB to debug my applications, the graphical front end makes thing a whole lot easier.

Me, I just use gdb...Gerard4143
    Make mine Arch Linux

Just Joined!
    d0mufasa,

You might try TotalView. It is a bit unique in the Linux world because it is a graphical C++ debugger that is not based on gdb.

You don't say much about your problem but we find that many C++ users benefit from the following features:

* Display of the contents of STL container class objects rather than the implementation
    * The ability to set breakpoints on all methods of a class at one time
    * Highlighting of variables that change
    * The ability to follow pointers with a double click .. for complex data structures
    * The ability to easily cast objects to other objects in the inheritance hierarchy
    * Memory leak detection that works with new and delete
    * Multi-threaded debugging including thread breakpoints, thread groups, and thread barriers

See the totalviewtech.com website for videos, a 15 day fully featured demo, and a free student edition.

Cheers,
    Chris

Disclaimer: I work for TotalView Technologies, as the product manager. Google search me and you'll find that I talk a lot about linux debugging in many places. As per good style for forums such as these I've stuck to statements of fact above. However I love working at TV Tech because we really do make cool stuff. Check out our ReplayEngine to see a really novel way to debug broken programs or understand complex functions.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can use Eclipse as a front-end to gdb which does a nice job of source-code debugging. Personally, however, I am the old-fashioned type who prefers to use gdb in the raw, so to speak.

If you are using KDE, then you can use the kdbg debugger (I think it's a front-end to gdb).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hi again,

I know this is an old post but I thought I would ask something else.

Basically, I found valgrind

I have also found something called QT Create:
    how to install qt4.5 open source

Are there any views on this?

TIA

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello, d0mufasa

Please start a new thread. We generally close revived threads that are more than about 6 months old and this one is nearing 2 years old.

Thank you.
    oz