Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone recommend a good development tool for C, C++ and Java? Kdevelop is one of the few that I've heard that does this but only supports C and C++. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Developing tool

Can anyone recommend a good development tool for C, C++ and Java? Kdevelop is one of the few that I've heard that does this but only supports C and C++. I once saw the movie "Antitrust' and I believe they used something in that movie.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    Well, as always I would gladly recommend emacs.

Linux User
    Try out "anjuta". That's sweetness! Its Gtk based, can give you a "sceleton" for several projects, including Gtk/xlib/whatever!

And it looks wery neat also!
    Check it out, www.anjuta.org

Linux Engineer
    Yea, I'm actually using emacs and I'm very content with it. I know that you can run gdb, make and other things. I'm aiming to use these development tools if they provide better functionality. It seems that Anjuta is very similar to kdevelop.

Linux Guru
    Well, I'd guess that there's a reason why most professional UNIX developers use emacs or vi.

Linux Engineer
    Well the best reason for using emacs is because I think it's the best editor ever. Another reason to use this is because not all systems may have the sys dev tool that I'm looking for. However, the chances of emacs being installed on each UNIX/Linux machine are fairly good. I just wanted to try some dev tools out to see if they would make my life easier. So far, I'm having much trouble using kdevelop.

Linux Guru
    I haven't seen any tool that can even compare itself to emacs. It might be worth it to learn how to use vi as well, though, since I believe that it's installed on even more systems. It also has a faster startup time than emacs and takes less memory. However, I find it so hard to leave emacs' controls behind, so I have simply been unable this far.

Linux User
    why is emacs/vi bether than ex. anjuta or kdevelop?

Linux Engineer
    I always recommend users that learn vi and "all" its features the first they do, becuase sometime you be put in front of an Unix system like HPUX or Solaris, where emacs or any other gui-based editor doesnt exist....then you are smoked... vi exist on every dialect.

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriss
    why is emacs/vi bether than ex. anjuta or kdevelop?
    I can't speak for vi, since I don't know it, but I find that emacs simply has the most features. You can simply do anything with it. Plus I love the navigation controls and the ability to give fast prefix arguments to commands. It is also the one editor that I have found to have the best auto-indentation engine.
    It's possible that "real" IDEs have better project management functions, but I've never used those things anyway. There's nothing wrong with Makefiles, especially not when using automake/autoconf.