Find the answer to your Linux question:
There was this post on this site about a year ago: post 762168 That was looking for help on how to use select() to open serial ports and write them ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

using pselect() for serial I/O routing

There was this post on this site about a year ago:

post 762168

That was looking for help on how to use select() to open serial ports and write them (although he was looking for an efficient solution in C++ to not use a timeout).

I am finding that pselect() is relatively new and there are not a lot of code examples out there to help me figure out what I need to do.

Does anyone have any suggestion, example code, or links on where I could go to help me figure out how to use pselect() to set up serial ports for reading and route them to a different port (via a write())?

Thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Check out the man page. In case that is inconvenient, here it is:
    Code:
    SELECT(2)                  Linux Programmer’s Manual                 SELECT(2)

NAME
           select, pselect, FD_CLR, FD_ISSET, FD_SET, FD_ZERO - synchronous I/O multiplexing

SYNOPSIS
           /* According to POSIX.1-2001 */
           #include <sys/select.h>

/* According to earlier standards */
           #include <sys/time.h>
           #include <sys/types.h>
           #include <unistd.h>

int select(int nfds, fd_set *readfds, fd_set *writefds,
                      fd_set *exceptfds, struct timeval *timeout);

void FD_CLR(int fd, fd_set *set);
           int FD_ISSET(int fd, fd_set *set);
           void FD_SET(int fd, fd_set *set);
           void FD_ZERO(fd_set *set);

#define _XOPEN_SOURCE 600
           #include <sys/select.h>

int pselect(int nfds, fd_set *readfds, fd_set *writefds,
                       fd_set *exceptfds, const struct timespec *timeout,
                       const sigset_t *sigmask);

DESCRIPTION
           select() and pselect() allow a program to monitor multiple file descriptors, wait-
           ing until one or more of the file descriptors become "ready" for some class of I/O
           operation  (e.g., input possible).  A file descriptor is considered ready if it is
           possible to perform the corresponding I/O operation (e.g., read(2)) without block-
           ing.

The operation of select() and pselect() is identical, with three differences:

(i)    select()  uses  a  timeout  that  is  a  struct  timeval  (with seconds and
                  microseconds), while pselect() uses a struct  timespec  (with  seconds  and
                  nanoseconds).

(ii)   select()  may  update  the  timeout  argument to indicate how much time was
                  left.  pselect() does not change this argument.

(iii)  select() has no sigmask argument, and behaves as pselect() called with NULL
                  sigmask.

Three  independent  sets of file descriptors are watched.  Those listed in readfds
           will be watched to see if characters become available for reading (more precisely,
           to see if a read will not block; in particular, a file descriptor is also ready on
           end-of-file), those in writefds will be watched to see if a write will not  block,
           and those in exceptfds will be watched for exceptions.  On exit, the sets are mod-
           ified in place to indicate which file descriptors actually changed  status.   Each
           of  the three file descriptor sets may be specified as NULL if no file descriptors
           are to be watched for the corresponding class of events.

Four macros are  provided  to  manipulate  the  sets.   FD_ZERO()  clears  a  set.
           FD_SET()  and  FD_CLR() respectively add and remove a given file descriptor from a
           set.  FD_ISSET() tests to see if a file descriptor is part of  the  set;  this  is
           useful after select() returns.

nfds is the highest-numbered file descriptor in any of the three sets, plus 1.

timeout  is  an upper bound on the amount of time elapsed before select() returns.
           It may be zero, causing select()  to  return  immediately.  (This  is  useful  for
           polling.) If timeout is NULL (no timeout), select() can block indefinitely.

sigmask  is  a  pointer  to a signal mask (see sigprocmask(2)); if it is not NULL,
           then pselect() first replaces the current signal mask by the  one  pointed  to  by
           sigmask,  then  does  the ‘select’ function, and then restores the original signal
           mask.

Other than the difference in the precision of the timeout argument, the  following
           pselect() call:

ready = pselect(nfds, &readfds, &writefds, &exceptfds,
                               timeout, &sigmask);

is equivalent to atomically executing the following calls:

sigset_t origmask;

sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, &sigmask, &origmask);
               ready = select(nfds, &readfds, &writefds, &exceptfds, timeout);
               sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, &origmask, NULL);

The reason that pselect() is needed is that if one wants to wait for either a sig-
           nal or for a file descriptor to become ready, then an atomic  test  is  needed  to
           prevent  race  conditions.   (Suppose  the  signal  handler sets a global flag and
           returns. Then a test of this global flag followed by a call of select() could hang
           indefinitely  if  the signal arrived just after the test but just before the call.
           By contrast, pselect() allows one to first block signals, handle the signals  that
           have come in, then call pselect() with the desired sigmask, avoiding the race.)

The timeout
           The time structures involved are defined in <sys/time.h> and look like

struct timeval {
                 long    tv_sec;         /* seconds */
                 long    tv_usec;        /* microseconds */
             };

and

struct timespec {
                 long    tv_sec;         /* seconds */
                 long    tv_nsec;        /* nanoseconds */
             };

(However, see below on the POSIX.1-2001 versions.)

Some code calls select() with all three sets empty, n zero, and a non-NULL timeout
           as a fairly portable way to sleep with subsecond precision.

On Linux, select() modifies timeout to reflect the amount of time not slept;  most
           other  implementations  do  not do this.  (POSIX.1-2001 permits either behaviour.)
           This causes problems both when Linux code which reads timeout is ported  to  other
           operating  systems,  and when code is ported to Linux that reuses a struct timeval
           for multiple select()s in a loop without reinitializing it.  Consider  timeout  to
           be undefined after select() returns.

RETURN VALUE
           On success, select() and pselect() return the number of file descriptors contained
           in the three returned descriptor sets (that is, the total number of bits that  are
           set  in  readfds,  writefds,  exceptfds)  which may be zero if the timeout expires
           before anything interesting happens.  On error, -1 is returned, and errno  is  set
           appropriately; the sets and timeout become undefined, so do not rely on their con-
           tents after an error.

ERRORS
           EBADF  An invalid file descriptor was given in one of the sets.  (Perhaps  a  file
                  descriptor that was already closed, or one on which an error has occurred.)

EINTR  A signal was caught.

EINVAL nfds is negative or the value contained within timeout is invalid.

ENOMEM unable to allocate memory for internal tables.

EXAMPLE
           #include <stdio.h>
           #include <sys/time.h>
           #include <sys/types.h>
           #include <unistd.h>

int
           main(void) {
               fd_set rfds;
               struct timeval tv;
               int retval;

/* Watch stdin (fd 0) to see when it has input. */
               FD_ZERO(&rfds);
               FD_SET(0, &rfds);

/* Wait up to five seconds. */
               tv.tv_sec = 5;
               tv.tv_usec = 0;

retval = select(1, &rfds, NULL, NULL, &tv);
               /* Don’t rely on the value of tv now! */

if (retval == -1)
                   perror("select()");
               else if (retval)
                   printf("Data is available now.\n");
                   /* FD_ISSET(0, &rfds) will be true. */
               else
                   printf("No data within five seconds.\n");

return 0;
           }

CONFORMING TO
           select() conforms to POSIX.1-2001 and 4.4BSD (select() first appeared in  4.2BSD).
           Generally  portable  to/from  non-BSD  systems supporting clones of the BSD socket
           layer (including System V variants).  However, note that the System V variant typ-
           ically sets the timeout variable before exit, but the BSD variant does not.

pselect() is defined in POSIX.1g, and in POSIX.1-2001.

NOTES
           An  fd_set is a fixed size buffer.  Executing FD_CLR() or FD_SET() with a value of
           fd that is negative or is equal to or larger than FD_SETSIZE will result in  unde-
           fined behavior. Moreover, POSIX requires fd to be a valid file descriptor.

Concerning the types involved, the classical situation is that the two fields of a
           timeval structure are longs (as shown above), and  the  structure  is  defined  in
           <sys/time.h>.  The POSIX.1-2001 situation is

struct timeval {
                      time_t         tv_sec;     /* seconds */
                      suseconds_t    tv_usec;    /* microseconds */
                  };

where  the  structure  is  defined in <sys/select.h> and the data types time_t and
           suseconds_t are defined in <sys/types.h>.

Concerning prototypes, the classical situation is that one should include <time.h>
           for   select().    The   POSIX.1-2001   situation   is  that  one  should  include
           <sys/select.h> for select()  and  pselect().   Libc4  and  libc5  do  not  have  a
           <sys/select.h>  header; under glibc 2.0 and later this header exists.  Under glibc
           2.0 it unconditionally gives  the  wrong  prototype  for  pselect(),  under  glibc
           2.1-2.2.1  it gives pselect() when _GNU_SOURCE is defined, under glibc 2.2.2-2.2.4
           it gives it when _XOPEN_SOURCE is defined and has a value of 600  or  larger.   No
           doubt, since POSIX.1-2001, it should give the prototype by default.

VERSIONS
           pselect()  was added to Linux in kernel 2.6.16.  Prior to this, pselect() was emu-
           lated in glibc (but see BUGS).

LINUX NOTES
           The Linux pselect() system call modifies its timeout argument.  However, the glibc
           wrapper  function  hides  this behaviour by using a local variable for the timeout
           argument that is passed to the system call.  Thus, the  glibc  pselect()  function
           timeval structure are longs (as shown above), and  the  structure  is  defined  in
           <sys/time.h>.  The POSIX.1-2001 situation is

struct timeval {
                      time_t         tv_sec;     /* seconds */
                      suseconds_t    tv_usec;    /* microseconds */
                  };

where  the  structure  is  defined in <sys/select.h> and the data types time_t and
           suseconds_t are defined in <sys/types.h>.

Concerning prototypes, the classical situation is that one should include <time.h>
           for   select().    The   POSIX.1-2001   situation   is  that  one  should  include
           <sys/select.h> for select()  and  pselect().   Libc4  and  libc5  do  not  have  a
           <sys/select.h>  header; under glibc 2.0 and later this header exists.  Under glibc
           2.0 it unconditionally gives  the  wrong  prototype  for  pselect(),  under  glibc
           2.1-2.2.1  it gives pselect() when _GNU_SOURCE is defined, under glibc 2.2.2-2.2.4
           it gives it when _XOPEN_SOURCE is defined and has a value of 600  or  larger.   No
           doubt, since POSIX.1-2001, it should give the prototype by default.

VERSIONS
           pselect()  was added to Linux in kernel 2.6.16.  Prior to this, pselect() was emu-
           lated in glibc (but see BUGS).

LINUX NOTES
           The Linux pselect() system call modifies its timeout argument.  However, the glibc
           wrapper  function  hides  this behaviour by using a local variable for the timeout
           argument that is passed to the system call.  Thus, the  glibc  pselect()  function
           does  not  modify  its  timeout  argument;  this  is  the  behaviour  required  by
           POSIX.1-2001.

BUGS
           Glibc 2.0 provided a version of pselect() that did not take a sigmask argument.

Since version 2.1, glibc has provided an emulation of  pselect()  that  is  imple-
           mented  using sigprocmask(2) and select().  This implementation remains vulnerable
           to the very race condition that pselect() was designed  to  prevent.   On  systems
           that  lack  pselect() reliable (and more portable) signal trapping can be achieved
           using the self-pipe trick (where a signal handler writes a byte to  a  pipe  whose
           other end is monitored by select() in the main program.)

Under  Linux, select() may report a socket file descriptor as "ready for reading",
           while nevertheless a subsequent read blocks. This could for  example  happen  when
           data  has  arrived but upon examination has wrong checksum and is discarded. There
           may be other circumstances in which a file descriptor is  spuriously  reported  as
           ready.  Thus it may be safer to use O_NONBLOCK on sockets that should not block.

SEE ALSO
           For a tutorial with discussion and examples, see select_tut(2).

For  vaguely  related stuff, see accept(2), connect(2), poll(2), read(2), recv(2),
           send(2), sigprocmask(2), write(2), epoll(7), feature_test_macros(7)

Linux 2.6.16                      2006-03-11                         SELECT(2)
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tip. I also saw an example where one TCP port was being routed to another TCP port. In the example they were using a buffer. Would I need to use a buffer (like that example I saw) for the routing? It seems like I would where I would stick X bytes into that buffer from the read and then write those X bytes to the output; however, I wonder if there is some command/trick where you can just say "the input of this goes to the output of that" and not need any buffers and it's just straight routing from one Serial I/O to another.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The kernel will buffer your I/O unless you bypass that with your own kernel module where you can more easily move a buffer from an incoming port and link it directly to the output queue of another port. How you specifically would do that is indeterminate in that there are likely several methods to accomplish that task. I don't personally know enough the say more than that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    The kernel will buffer your I/O unless you bypass that with your own kernel module where you can more easily move a buffer from an incoming port and link it directly to the output queue of another port. How you specifically would do that is indeterminate in that there are likely several methods to accomplish that task. I don't personally know enough the say more than that.
    Thanks for the replies so far.

So how about I write some code to show what I am confused about? I thought one would need to use read() and write() and those have some type of buffer as a parameter. The question marks are what I am unsure of:

Code:
    #define PTIMAX(x,y)		((x) > (y) ? (x) : (y))
            ptimux_fd = open(PTI_MUX, O_RDONLY | O_NONBLOCK);
    	ptiuart_fd = open(PTI_UART, O_RDONLY | O_NONBLOCK);
    	ptidrv_fd  = open(PTI_DRV, O_WRONLY);
    	if ( (ptimux_fd < 0)  ||
    		 (ptiuart_fd < 0) ||
    		 (ptidrv_fd < 0) ) {
    		DBG("open() failed. ptimux: %d, ptiuart: %d, ptidrv: %d",
    			     ptimux_fd, ptiuart_fd, ptidrv_fd);
    		exit(EXIT_SERIALFAILURE);
    	}
    	FD_ZERO(&inset);
    	FD_ZERO(&outset);