Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, The good news is that I just installed Red Hat linux 9 and I started the process of learning it. The bad news, however, I want to start developing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What's C++ IDE & Compiler for RH Linux 9?

Hi,

The good news is that I just installed Red Hat linux 9 and I started the process of learning it. The bad news, however, I want to start developing C++ on the new OS and I don't know where to start from!

I know VC++ for MS Windows but, what's the "equivalent" for Red Hat Linux 9?

Thanks.

-Mazen

Linux Engineer
    Visual C++ under Microsoft provides a lot of tools for developing. There are things like kdevelop and others that can serve as developing kit but I like using emacs and g++. Emacs is a very powerful editor that can almost do anything. g++ is the GNU C++ compiler. First things first, write a program using emacs (or any other text editor) and save the file with the appropriate file extension (.cpp, .CC, .cxx). Then run 'g++ <file name>' and you should get an executable file called a.out. To run this executable tyep './a.out'. Please note the dot-slash. Unless you put the current directory into your PATH env variable, you'll have to use it. If you have any other questions, don't hesistate to post something here. The people in this forum are very intelligent and friendly.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    check out anjuta. its a fairly good IDE. you might wanna search freshmeat.net for "ide" as there might be other promising project's there

good luck

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I know that anyone coming from the Windows world tend to love them, but I find dedicated IDEs clearly overrated. Like bpark says, emacs is basically a text editor, but it can be and is extended to do virtually anything that you'd ever like it to do. Among its current functionality is an advanced C programming mode, compiler interaction, debugger, email user agent, interactive patching and diffing, several small games, modes for programming in Perl, PHP, Pascal, Fortran, ADA, Python, LISP, scheme and for writing HTML, SGML, XML, texinfo, Tex files, roff documents, creating RPMs, browsing directories, builtin shell (and other commands) interaction, spelling control and editing files transparently over FTP. What I mentioned here probably doesn't even cover a tenth of its functionality. It's also self-documenting, ie. it has online help for virtually every function that it has, and it is extendable during run-time using LISP.
    You'll have to create your Makefiles manually, though. That it doesn't do for you. You might want to check out autoconf/automake. See the texinfo docs for information on them.