Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to copy text from screen of one workspace to a file in another of a different user. My x-windows is a tad rusty but a quick review leads ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Need to copy text between workspaces

I need to copy text from screen of one workspace to a file in another of a different user.
    My x-windows is a tad rusty but a quick review leads me to believe this can be done.
    Can someone give me a boost so I can do it? Would dd do this?

I'm not entirely sure what you want to accomplish. You want to copy things from windows to linux or vice-versa or linux to linux using a windows ssh shell? Please explain yourself.

Linux User

Need to copy text

I don't think M$ would like to admit they use x-windows (but they have their version) but NO don't need to "cp" between window$ and linux. Need to copy from one virtual terminal to another. This is NOT a networked situation. Hence, it is between workspaces on a single workstation so ssh is superfluous.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    My magic crystal ball won't tell me, so it's up to you to explain better your situation.

EDIT: Actually I believe this thread is a double post to http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...shortcuts.html.
    Last edited by Kloschüssel; 09-01-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Linux User

Need to copy text

No, one deals with shortcuts this deals with copying text specifically.
    Well maybe a little Johnsons Wax will clean up that mystical device. Possibly others will have some ideas. Th problem was stated in my first query perhaps U need to reread.

No, your question is unclear. This is also why noone but me has reacted on your post after 88 views.

You don't say what a "workspace" is for you, nore what x-windows (which should be read as X11 window system) has to do with it, nore what kind of review leads you to your assumption, nore how you come to the idea that dd (a tool that copies binary data from one device to another) would be able to copy your text.
    Last edited by Kloschüssel; 09-01-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Linux User

Need to copy text

Kloschüssel i would apprciate if you would terminate with your input to my queries.

Just Joined!
    well, i'm assuming the text comes from a file. in that case:

1. cat source_file > /somewhere_in_local_pc/destination file
    2. scp /somewhere_in_local_pc/destination file destination_IP:/filename

printscreen should work too ...dunno if it helps

Linux User

Need to copy text between

Sarmed you have mis-read the query. It states: "need to copy text ** from** screen of one workspace **to** a file. A workspace is represented by the 2, 3, 4,...8 little squares on your monitor's screen.
    I don't need to learn how to use a copy command (I serve as an adjunct professor and teach that mundane stuff) what I am after is how to address "/somewhere_in_local_pc". I have searched extensively and since no one here knows, I consider this query terminated.