Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am using gcov to get code coverage for my program written in C++, I am able to do it without any problem when i don't have a directory ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using gcov

Hi,

I am using gcov to get code coverage for my program written in C++, I am able to do it without any problem when i don't have a directory structure, for my program I have a directory structure as below

Code:
    ./src/ -- containing all my source files

./obj/ -- containing all my object files

./header/ -- containing all my header files

../../lib/  -- containing a static library, which will be used by 
                    my program 

there is a makefile in the current directory which creates my executable

do i need to compile the static library also with the options of gcov i.e. -fprofile-arcs -ftest-coverage, because it is the library that i need to check for coverage.
    Kindly help on how use gcov in this situation.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    See the --opject-directory option for gcov. You can tell it where your object and source files are with that. There is also the --preserve-paths argument so it will use the complete path information when creating the profiles. From the gcov man page:
    Code:
           --preserve-paths
               Preserve complete path information in the names of generated .gcov files.  Without this
               option, just the filename component is used.  With this option, all directories are used,
               with / characters translated to # characters, . directory components removed and ..
               components renamed to ^.  This is useful if sourcefiles are in several different
               directories.  It also affects the -l option.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!