Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a computer programmer and I just switch to Ubuntu from Windows 7. I have use Ubuntu before but never for programming. I programming in C++ mostly and know how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Programmer looking for advice with programming in Linux!

I'm a computer programmer and I just switch to Ubuntu from Windows 7. I have use Ubuntu before but never for programming. I programming in C++ mostly and know how to run a C++ program in Ubuntu. I want to know if I need to know Linux very well to program in it? I'm very interested in Linux and have tons of books on it and plan on reading them but I would like to get some work done. So what things should I learn to program in Linux? Can anyone help?

GNU/Linux is pretty much obedient to the POSIX standard. The GNU C and C++ compiler/runtime also tries to implement the important standards correctly.

That means you can start getting work done just by using the standard C/C++ libraries. If this is not enough, you start using the functionality of POSIX, just like you would on any UNIX system.

Read the manpages of the functions you use. They will tell you in which aspects the Linux specific implementation differs.

The GNU C Library - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)
    Last edited by GNU-Fan; 09-16-2010 at 06:03 AM.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Just Joined!
    Thanks GNU-Fan thatz really good ones..