Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am trying to modify the Initialization scripts in my device /etc/init.d/ directory as per Linux Standard Base 3.1 specification. But I don't see : 1. /usr/lib/lsb/install_initd or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Standard Base 3.1 complaint

Hi All,

I am trying to modify the Initialization scripts in my device /etc/init.d/ directory as per Linux Standard Base 3.1 specification.

But I don't see :

1. /usr/lib/lsb/install_initd or
    2. /usr/lib/lsb/remove_initd

utilities in my device. I understand that these 2 utilities must be available for LSB 3.1

Is there any package need to be installed for getting these utilities ?

If so, please let me know the link to get this LSB 3.1 package.

Thanks in advance,
    Karthik Katta.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need to install the LSB packages for your distribution. For my CentOS/RHEL 5 system the packages are as follows:

lsb-build-base
    lsb-build-c++
    lsb-build-cc
    redhat-lsb
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thxs for the reply. Could you help me in clarifying the below doubts ?

1. Downlaoding & Installing the above packages will give the install_initd or remove_initd utilities. Is my understanding correct ?

2. After this, can I go ahead and change the init scripts in /etc/init.d/ directory as per LSB 3.1.

3. Will be suffiecient to ensure that these new scripts are running fine or Do we need go for any certification.
    I acutually don't understand the need for this certification. Could you please clarify ?

Thanks,
    Karthik.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. Installing the lsb packages should create those directories and scripts for you. It did in my CentOS/RHEL 5 system.

2. Don't know. You may not need to.

3. Other than some applications needing the services that the LSB provides, I really don't pay any attention to it. You need to do more research.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!