Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I am facing a problem with my AT91SAM9260 customized board. Board is almost same as the evaluation kit. I could download the binaries ( Bootstrap-v1.16, u-boot-1.3.4, linux kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Bootstrap not starting U-boot in the normal boot sequence

Hi all

I am facing a problem with my AT91SAM9260 customized board. Board is almost same as the evaluation kit.

I could download the binaries ( Bootstrap-v1.16, u-boot-1.3.4, linux kernel 2.6.20) successfully to the DATAFLASH/NANDFlash in my board by using atmel SAM-BA tool with usb/serialport/jlink.

Here I describe the problem.

When I power up the board, boot strap is not jumping to U-boot location, in the normal boot sequence and board stuck with bootstrap.

But when I disconnect/connect the JTAG USB cable ( provided with SAM-BA ICE) , it's jumping to u-boot location and booting the board properly. I'm getting the same error in NAND FLASH also.

I have tried one more test case.I copied bootstrap binary at the flash location, [location which is specified for u-boot binary] instead of U-boot.bin (location: 0x8400 in dataflash), I got continous bootstrap debug messages in my console. [ So can I conclude SDRAM doesn't have any problem? ]

Where should be the problem.? Bootstrap code or U-boot code ?
    Please guide me regarding this.

Thanks & Regards

Remya S J

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    These issues are VERY much dependent upon the board in question. You really should contact the board vendor with these questions. I do embedded Linux systems applications and a lot of these sort of questions are so dependent upon board-specific issues that this sort of forum that is mostly attuned to general type of questions, cannot likely help you much. Sorry.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

@ Rubberman

Thanks for the concern ...

I could sort out the reason some how. But didn't fix it actually.

The proble is related to the externel reset. The board is waiting for the occurance of ext reset, but hardware is not giving it.

Do u have any suggestion on this? I mean generally, what will be consider as the externel reset in a board ? In datasheet , they mentioned 3 types of resets

1. processor reset ( may be power on reset)
    2. Peripheral reset ( reset button / reset command)
    3. Externel reset

How can i simulate an externel reset to a board generally

Thanks in advance
    SJR

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    In my experience, an external reset is akin to the reset button (peripheral reset) that you mention. Do you have a link to the board documentation that I can look at?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    In my experience, an external reset is akin to the reset button (peripheral reset) that you mention. Do you have a link to the board documentation that I can look at?
    thanks for the reply ....

You can find the datasheet of atmel at91sam9260 micro controller in the following link
    HTML Code:
    http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/datasheets.asp?family_id=605

Atmel has an evaluation kit based on at91sam9260 uc. That's my reference board. you can get this board details in the following link

HTML Code:
    http://www.at91.com/linux4sam/bin/view/Linux4SAM/GettingStarted#Demo9260

Now, I modified the U-boot code, so that my board will not wait for the Externel reset to occur. So board is booting
    (I have to check other peripherals also, to confirm whether this modification affecting them or not)