Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I normally don't post duplicate but I guess i didn't make myself clear enough, and theyre just frustrating me even more by not answering the main question I've explained like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to edit Firefox's source (or any other program source) using Eclipse (or any IDE)

I normally don't post duplicate but I guess i didn't make myself clear enough, and theyre just frustrating me even more by not answering the main question I've explained like 4 or 5 times.

Say I got Firefox's source code extracted into a directory and I want to edit Firefox using Eclipse, or some ide.
    If you used Microsoft Visual Studio before, remember how you could open an .sln file and it would automatically load the projects files and whatnot into the editor?
    Well the source code for firefox doesnt have that, and I've been trying to figure out how to import the files into Eclipse (or any IDE) into a project so i can edit it from there.

How would I go about doing this?

Just Joined!
    I don't normally answer duplicate posts, but I haven't seen the other one.

I don't know what Firefox's (or any other program's) source code looks like, and I can't answer for any IDE, but Eclipse has an import function that works well.

I suggest creating a new project and then experiment importing into it the Firefox source code you've found. After you figure it out, you'll be the expert, and you can report back here how you did it for the edification of others.

Just Joined!
    And here's the duplicate that I wouldn't normally answer.

Please be more specific in your questions, assume that those who do answer give it their best effort, and be more patient and forgiving with those whose answers miss the sometimes ill-defined mark.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
    And here's the duplicate that I wouldn't normally answer.

Please be more specific in your questions, assume that those who do answer give it their best effort, and be more patient and forgiving with those whose answers miss the sometimes ill-defined mark.
    How can I be more specific? I want to create a project containing a programs source code, load a program into an ide! I don't see how I can explain it any better. I've explained it like 5 other times I've tried being as specific as humanly possible.

I know I shouldn't be mad but its frustrating, it's like asking how to fix a muffler on a car and someone replying "you cant fix a mufler with the car still running" when thats already obvious.

Just Joined!
    I don't normally answer duplicate posts, but I haven't seen the other one.

I don't know what Firefox's (or any other program's) source code looks like, and I can't answer for any IDE, but Eclipse has an import function that works well.

I suggest creating a new project and then experiment importing into it the Firefox source code you've found. After you figure it out, you'll be the expert, and you can report back here how you did it for the edification of others.
    as mentioned in the title (or any other program source)

and by source i mean what you get from websites, the things in the tar.gz files, the ones you have to compile to install sometimes.

Theres another way of explaining it.
    How would I compile a programs source with an IDE, rather than using a terminal?

Eclipse has an import function that allows you to impost existing code. I haven't used Eclipse in a long time, but I recall it being under File, Import, Import from Filesystem.

Note that Firefox is not written in Java, so by default, Eclipse cannot handle it. Firefox is, as I recall, written using an XML-based language called XUL, and otherwise written in C++ or something. Not entirely sure.

But in any case, it's not Java, so you'll need to install an Eclipse plugin for whichever language you need.

Just Joined!
    You're a funny guy, funny-odd, but I suppose we all are to some degree to those who barely know us.

Here's how you can be more specific:

What source code? You've said Firefox, but for those who don't have the Firefox code handy, what language is Firefox written in?

A reader might assume Java or C/C++ since you've mentioned Eclipse. Eclipse is best known for Java/C/C++, but it is capable of handling other languages.

What IDE do you have installed that can edit the language Firefox is written in? What IDE would you like to use?

How competent are you in the IDE you've installed that can edit the language Firefox is written in? Since you're asking a relatively basic question (and that's okay), one has to assume that you're not too familiar.

What have you tried to do? What happened? What didn't work, what were the error messages, if any?

From your duplicate post, parameters like ANY source code or ANY IDE can be confusing and definitely increase the possible answer space rather than help focus the answer.

Yes, this is off the original topic, a trangression for which I'm prepared to be blasted (though I won't appreciate it), but you asked.

Just Joined!
    What source code? You've said Firefox, but for those who don't have the Firefox code handy, what language is Firefox written in?

A reader might assume Java or C/C++ since you've mentioned Eclipse. Eclipse is best known for Java/C/C++, but it is capable of handling other languages.
    I'm pretty sure it's C++, or some form of C.

What IDE do you have installed that can edit the language Firefox is written in? What IDE would you like to use?
    Mainly anything that I could hover over classes and find where the void part is located in. kinda like Microsoft Visual Studio, which is what I've used for a long time before switching to linux.

How competent are you in the IDE you've installed that can edit the language Firefox is written in?
    I'm just wanting any program that can load it and build the files okay and will show where is what in the source code so i wont have to look throughout all the files. As for the rest I could easily adapt to.
    Since you're asking a relatively basic question (and that's okay), one has to assume that you're not too familiar.
    You do have a point there... But I'm familiar enough to figure out how to work what pretty quick, it's just importing the .c and .h and folders and all the other file into the solution/project/whatever I cannot figure out how to do at all.

What have you tried to do? What happened? What didn't work, what were the error messages, if any?
    I tried dragging and dropping into the solution tab on Monodevelop that didn't work. I tried a few other stuff I can't really recall. I remember seeing something on doing it on eclipse but it said It needed to be a svn file, which its not its the downloaded archive.

From your duplicate post, parameters like ANY source code or ANY IDE can be confusing and definitely increase the possible answer space rather than help focus the answer.

Yes, this is off the original topic, a trangression for which I'm prepared to be blasted (though I won't appreciate it), but you asked.
    I'm not going to "blast" you, if that means like cuss you out or something. You realize what I'm trying to do and youre explaining more detailed and therefore easier to understand, and you realize what the main question is. so I'm actually very thankful for you posting.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfreak_99 View Post
    You are right about solution being the same as project, but I don't think you're getting what I'm saying yet. I already know how to open or create a project, again I'M NOT A RETARDED NOOB I already know that stuff. What I'm asking is how would I load the source files into that created project?

Fill in the blank here, Firefox is the example:
    1) Open any IDE
    2) New project
    3) ???
    4) Project now consists of Firefox
    5) Debug and I got firefox.

and PLEASE, stop treating me like a noob, and just answer the main question ive been trying to ask.
    I'm not going to answer any further as I am certain that someone as smart as you claim to be can figure it out.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

I've merged your two threads into one.

I'll also ask you to please be a bit more considerate in your responses. Remember that all of us are volunteers who help people solely because we enjoy doing so.

Your last answer implies that you were attempting to use Monodevelop, which is geared for C# development on Linux. If the language is C/++, as you claim, then you will want to use an IDE better suited for such development. Anjuta is reasonably popular on Gnome, and KDevelop is its equivalent in KDE. Eclipse does not support C or C++ out of the box, but there is a plugin available that adds such support:
    Eclipse CDT

Once you have determined what IDE you want to use, googling for "<IDE> import existing code" will probably give you some advice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast