Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I've been wanting to try editing programs on linux (like for my own personal mods), but I cannot find out how to load the source files into an IDE, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How to load source files into an IDE?

I've been wanting to try editing programs on linux (like for my own personal mods), but I cannot find out how to load the source files into an IDE, I don't want to use Kate or gedit because it's time consuming looking at 50+ files trying to find where a piece of code would be at (say trying to find ColorDrawer.Tablet.MakeFile(thisfile,here);, and having to look for a file with the ColorDrawer class)

back when I was on windows I used Visual Studio, and I liked how I could highlight the classes or actions and open the file that they were within. I've tried constant programs, MonoDevelop, QT Creator, CodeBlocks, etc, but I'm clueless as to how to actually get a source code to load into a solution.

How would I go about getting say
    http://neverball.org/neverball-1.5.4.tar.gz
    into a solution for MonoDevelop (or any other IDE)?

Thanks for any and all help!

Well, I like to use geany for programming. It has a very good function index down the left-hand side, syntax highlighting and autocompletion. But the sort of problem you mention is quickest solved with grep. Just open a terminal and type grep ColorDrawer *.c and you'll get the name of the file you need to look at.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Have you tried Eclipse? It's always the top notch/top of the line IDE in anything I've ever read about IDE's.

There are Eclipse plugins for about any language you can think of, all customized for that particular language. And creating projects from existing source files is as easy as clicking a few buttons.

And yeah the `grep' solution hazel mentioned is the fastest way I can think of to find text in a specific file.

Edit: also if you're wanting a light-weight IDE you can always use `vim'. Personally vim and Eclipse are the only IDE's I ever use

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by natediddy View Post
    There are Eclipse plugins for about any language you can think of, all customized for that particular language. And creating projects from existing source files is as easy as clicking a few buttons.
    I like where you're heading with this... now, what are those buttons? Could you possibly like explain the basic steps to getting a tar.gz file into there properly? I tried doing it but it wouldnt let me debug it.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    a tar.gz is a compressed file so the first thing you need to do is uncompress it. Open a terminal and run

cd path/to/tar
    tar xzf neverball-1.5.4.tar.gz

this will extract into the current directory and should result in a new sub-directory hierarchy with the source code in it.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    a tar.gz is a compressed file so the first thing you need to do is uncompress it. Open a terminal and run

cd path/to/tar
    tar xzf neverball-1.5.4.tar.gz

this will extract into the current directory and should result in a new sub-directory hierarchy with the source code in it.
    I already know how to extract archives. I'm asking how to load them into an IDE

Ummmm you don't open archives in an ide

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Ummmm you don't open archives in an ide
    ..............ok look im sorry but i have an anger problem and get irritated easily so please im trying to ask as nicely as i can, please just drop the whole archive thing or pretend I never mentioned an archive. I don't want to get into a big offtopic arguement about archives, i already know i need to unextract archives im not stupid.

What I'm asking is how I would go about loading a programs source code in an IDE without needing a solution file, because the programs I'm wanting to mod don't have solution files.
    I'm wanting to open up the following programs sources (UNARCHIVED) into an IDE properly enough so i can use an IDE to edit it and I wanna load it up correctly so I can debug it and whatnot.

If that didn't make sense, I'll describe what I'm wanting to do.

I'm wanting to add a pause menu to Neverputt/Neverball, and I want to work on the editing through a IDE so I can find where commands and voids and whatnot are located, and I wan't to make sure I load it up right so I would be able to use debugging and whatnot to test and see if it works
    http://neverball.org/neverball-1.5.4.tar.gz

and I'm also wanting to load Banshee into the IDE so I can modify the notification and either remove the album art or resize it.
    http://download.banshee-project.org/...-1.8.0.tar.bz2

Main thing: Load a folder containing a programs source files into an IDE to edit and debug with.
    don't go on about the archives, or asking why i wanna remove the album art, or any off topic things please.

I hope i didnt sound too much of an ass but it frustrates me when I'm asking for help and people go off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by natediddy View Post
    could you please explain how I would go about doing this? I tried googling didn't get much luck, and I tried it myself but it wouldnt let me debug and it loaded the sources folder within the project (so it was "Banshee > Banshee 1.0.7 > source files" when it should have been "Banshee > source files")

Well you did imply that you wanted to open an archive in an IDE or maybe I inferred it; anyway onwards and upwards.

You typically use File -> Open to launch an individual file, anything more than that would depend on the IDE that you choose. Most, if not all of them will allow you to create a project which is what I think you mean by a solution.

In Komodo, it is Project -> New Project, in others, it's File -> New Project so the best thing to do is have a look around your IDE

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Well you did imply that you wanted to open an archive in an IDE or maybe I inferred it; anyway onwards and upwards.

You typically use File -> Open to launch an individual file, anything more than that would depend on the IDE that you choose. Most, if not all of them will allow you to create a project which is what I think you mean by a solution.

In Komodo, it is Project -> New Project, in others, it's File -> New Project so the best thing to do is have a look around your IDE
    You are right about solution being the same as project, but I don't think you're getting what I'm saying yet. I already know how to open or create a project, again I'M NOT A RETARDED NOOB I already know that stuff. What I'm asking is how would I load the source files into that created project?

Fill in the blank here, Firefox is the example:
    1) Open any IDE
    2) New project
    3) ???
    4) Project now consists of Firefox
    5) Debug and I got firefox.

and PLEASE, stop treating me like a noob, and just answer the main question ive been trying to ask.
    Last edited by wolfreak_99; 10-10-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast