Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I am a Ph.D student of Physics and recently a cluster of 32 nodes has been installed in my department. Since I am a senior and do a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

parallel programming on clusters

Hi all

I am a Ph.D student of Physics and recently a cluster of 32 nodes has been installed in my department. Since I am a senior and do a lot of programming in C in linux OS (as I make mathematical models for Complex Systems), therefore I have been asked to learn parallel programming and learn to use the cluster and in turn, teach my junior fellows.
    Parallel programing is worth learning

Can somebody PLEASE direct me to some good programs(codes) in C (preferablly) or C++, which can teach me ::

1) how to make parallel programs (as I will first learn to run them on a dual-processor computer)

2) and how to run them on clusters.

Regards
    Alice

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    MPI is the standard / most common tool used for this in scientific programming. You also might want to visit the Argonne National Lab and Fermi National Lap web sites - they have a lot of scientific programming tools and such: Argonne National Laboratory ... for a brighter future, Fermilab | Home
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Thnax

Thanx Rubberman, once again.
    I will check these sites and get back to u if needed.

Thanx

Regards
    Alice

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Just an FYI - my wife is a particle physicist at Fermi Lab. Good luck on your career!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Smile Thank you

Thanx Rubberman for sharing your close information with me.

Regards
    Alice

As Rubberman says, MPI is pretty much the standard tool for doing distributed computing across a cluster. One popular implementation (and it's open-source!) is called OpenMPI:

Open MPI: Open Source High Performance Computing

In order for a lot of this distributed computing to make sense, you may also want to learn about normal single-computer multi-threaded computing. There are many more resources about multi-threaded computing than about distributed computing, but there are a lot of similar concepts, such as thread safety, synchronization, and inter-process communication (IPC).

Good luck!