Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm very new to linux, and I have a couple of questions that I could really use help with. I actually have a huge list, but I'll just pick a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Bash Scripting Help

I'm very new to linux, and I have a couple of questions that I could really use help with. I actually have a huge list, but I'll just pick a couple so that once I have the answer I will have a better understanding of what is being asked.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Use "#!/bin/bash"

#1. script name: ckcmds - reads the contents of a file named ".commands" in your home directory and searches for a string that is passed as an argument then displays only the lines that contain
    the given string to the stdout (hints: cat, grep)

#2. script name: bye - prompts the user for a short message then displays the message back to the user. If the user enters the word "Microsoft" in their message, replace the word with something more conducive to a Linux environment (hints: echo, cat, read, sed)

#3. script name: makesecret, readsecret - makesecret takes the content of a user designated file containing plain text and performs some encoding to the message to scramble it up and outputsthe encrypted message to another given file. readsecret then decrypts the encrypted file back to the original message and outputs the decrypted message to a given filename. (hints: xxd, tr, sed; use multiple layers of encryption to mix them up. Multiple tr's or sed's will help) Sample
    command input: makesecret myMessage cryptMessage ; readsecret ryptMessage origMessage

Thanks so much!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingforhelp View Post
    I'm very new to linux, and I have a couple of questions that I could really use help with. I actually have a huge list, but I'll just pick a couple so that once I have the answer I will have a better understanding of what is being asked.
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

I see no questions in your post, so I'm not even sure what's being asked. While on the subject of questions, what's it for, anyway?
    oz

Just Joined!
    Well, I'm taking a course that is suppose to be teaching us about linux. I don't really understand what is being asked either.....these are suppose to be questions. I don't really understand either.
    We are suppose to create scripts that will accomplish the tasks as above.

oz
    forum.guy
    Sorry, but you'll need to get more info about it from your instructor because homework questions aren't allowed on the forums:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ums-rules.html

Best of luck to you with the class and any exams!
    oz