Find the answer to your Linux question:
How do I get more virtual consoles like on tty7, tty8, etc., till alt+F12 ?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to get more VCs

How do I get more virtual consoles like on tty7, tty8, etc., till alt+F12 ?

Linux Engineer
    edit /etc/inittab and add them.

you'll see the entries that start getty... just add however many you want, remembering to n++ the number of the tty (n++ meaning add one to the value of the previous value of n)
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux User
    Yeah, you can do that, but be careful as X server uses tty7 by default.
    So, make sure you take a note of this issue.
    The Unforgiven
    Registered Linux User #358564

Linux Engineer
    actually, if you read the docs, X uses the first *empty* tty it finds... so, you can have as many consoles as you'd like.. but since i can't remember if you can shift/ctrl/alt the function keys, i'd be careful about filling all 12 with consoles... maybe up to 11 unless someone knows if the F<n> keys can be modified...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    actually, if you read the docs, X uses the first *empty* tty it finds... so, you can have as many consoles as you'd like.. but since i can't remember if you can shift/ctrl/alt the function keys, i'd be careful about filling all 12 with consoles... maybe up to 11 unless someone knows if the F<n> keys can be modified...
    Ok, thanks for updating me..
    The Unforgiven
    Registered Linux User #358564

Just Joined!
    A more usable alternative (in my opinion) is to use the very wonderfull and depreciated tool "screen". Kind of like a window manager for terminals.

Screen can even do cut'n'paste between termianls and also do split-screen of two terminals.

Read the man-page for screen and learn the keyboard short-cuts and you are in buisness.

Regarding plain tty's I usually cut back on tty's in inittab and perhaps keep three but also add some console logging so I quickly can catch the latest syslog output on tty4-5.