Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to look at a file and find 6 or more consecutive consonants (everything except a vowel). However I have a hidden $ character at the end of each ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ignoring Hidden Characters

I'm trying to look at a file and find 6 or more consecutive consonants (everything except a vowel). However I have a hidden $ character at the end of each line in the file. For some reason I can't reference to it in any of the pattern searching commands.

For example: grep '[^aeiouAEIOU$]\{6,\}' file| more

This command returns words that contain 5 consonants at the end (because it interprets the hidden $ as not a vowel). How can I make it ignore the hidden character? Or more specifically how do I refer to the hidden character in my pattern searches?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by whocares357 View Post
    I'm trying to look at a file and find 6 or more consecutive consonants (everything except a vowel). However I have a hidden $ character at the end of each line in the file. For some reason I can't reference to it in any of the pattern searching commands.

For example: grep '[^aeiouAEIOU$]\{6,\}' file| more

This command returns words that contain 5 consonants at the end (because it interprets the hidden $ as not a vowel). How can I make it ignore the hidden character? Or more specifically how do I refer to the hidden character in my pattern searches?

Thank you.
    Not sure what you mean by 'hidden' $ character. Have you tried escaping it?
    Code:
    grep '[^aeiouAEIOU\$$]\{6,\}' file| more
    Edit: Can this trailing character be removed?
    Last edited by barriehie; 11-04-2010 at 03:14 PM.