Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am new to Linux and is currently taking a course for the class, I was assigned a project of finding or creating a script of my choice that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

log any changes to the system file

Hello,

I am new to Linux and is currently taking a course for the class, I was assigned a project of finding or creating a script of my choice that can be executed with administrative rights. I've chosen to create a script that would log any changes to the system file and send the log to a specific location. Could anyone one direct on where to begin? I've spent several days researching and trying to understand what shell script is all about, unfortunately I am still very new at this. While my professor doesn't really teach me much, I hope I can learn more here.

Well, to be picky, there are more than one system fileS.

The forum rules forbid homework questions, but you are asking about general directions, which is ok-ish.

I see four approaches:
    1) *file integrity* scanners. Just look for them at the usual places: freshmeat, sourceforge, your package manager
    2) self written script, using *hash functions*.
    Basically reinventing existing file integrity scanners.
    The scope would probably have to be limited, though. As a full blown implementation is non-trivial.
    3) real time. There is a kernel feature to *notify* the userspace about *inode* changes.
    4) package manager: verify existing files against what the package manager thinks is installed (aka: has in its database)

Have fun googling

As for bash scripting:
    Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
    Last edited by Irithori; 11-17-2010 at 10:27 PM.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    thank you very much.