Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently following the instructions from the Linux From Scratch book and have made it to the downloading of the patches. There are links to all of the needed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Not sure how to use html version of patches

I am currently following the instructions from the Linux From Scratch book and have made it to the downloading of the patches.

There are links to all of the needed patches but when you click them, instead of downloading a file like I expected, it takes you to an html page displaying (I'm guessing) some sort of programming or scripting language.

Link to the page with the all the patch download links. From there instead of downloading the file it displays its contents.
    - (period)linuxfromscratch
    - (period)org
    - /lfs/view/stable/chapter03/patches
    - (period)html
    (had to break it up because the forum won't allow me to post links yet )

My question is: What do I need to do with this text? Do I copy and paste it into a text file? Are there certain extensions that I need to append to the text files?

All these links point directly to the patches. Those are not HTML pages but text files and since your browser can also display text files they you won't see a download dialog.
    To fetch the patches, either save them with your browser (File->Save or Ctrl+S) or use wget.
    Refining Linux Advent calendar: 24 Outstanding ZSH Gems

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by loweryaustin View Post
    Do I copy and paste it into a text file? Are there certain extensions that I need to append to the text files?
    Welcome to the forums!

Yes, copy/paste to a text editor will also work. Just name the saved files the same name as the patch itself.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manko10 View Post
    All these links point directly to the patches. Those are not HTML pages but text files and since your browser can also display text files they you won't see a download dialog.
    To fetch the patches, either save them with your browser (File->Save or Ctrl+S) or use wget.
    Wow I almost feel like the special kid that has to eat lunch with the janitors at school. I havn't ever seen a browser display a text file so It didn't cross my mind that it could have been anything other than html, and it definitely didn't cross my mind to simply save the file directly.

Thanks for the help Manko and Ozar. Now for the fun part of actually learning how Linux works, from the inside out, lol.