Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been playing around with a script for a few hours and now I need to be able to output the lines in a text file one by one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to read a line from a txt file in a script?

I have been playing around with a script for a few hours and now I need to be able to output the lines in a text file one by one to be used later in the script.

What it gonna do is to read a log file and grep the usernames, then write them to a file, and then run one script for each user, to search for more information about them in the log.

But I don't know how to output a single line from a file, and google does not return any solution.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenholdt View Post
    I have been playing around with a script for a few hours and now I need to be able to output the lines in a text file one by one to be used later in the script.

What it gonna do is to read a log file and grep the usernames, then write them to a file, and then run one script for each user, to search for more information about them in the log.

But I don't know how to output a single line from a file, and google does not return any solution.

Thanks
    Looking for something like this?
    Code:
    cat /some_path/some_file | while read line
    do
      <something with $line>
    done
    exit 0
    or

Code:
    cat /some_path/some_file | while read
    do
      <something with $REPLY>
    done
    exit 0

Another option, if you need to break out this loop for some reason, would be to open the file:

Code:
    exec 5<$FILENAME

# That's basic redirection syntax: $FILENAME is opened for reading and bound to file descriptor 5.  "exec" is a shell built-in which applies this redirection to the shell's session.

#To read a line from the open file, just redirect the input of "read" to FD #5...
    read x <&5

#To close the file, there's the following syntax.  You can think of it as "redirect 5 from nothing"...
    exec 5<&-
    You can use that "read" command in a while loop as in barriehie's examples.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Thumbs up

Here's a link to a BASH scripting guide. I've found it to be indispensable.
    Advanced Bash Scripting Guide Download - Softpedia