Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I have a question just for you: I moved to Linux (in particularly, to openSuSE) some months ago; I came from VB6 (I used it for years) which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Programming language/software VB-like

Hi there,
    I have a question just for you: I moved to Linux (in particularly, to openSuSE) some months ago; I came from VB6 (I used it for years) which is not yet supported well by its company, so I decided to learn a new programming language with some requisites:

1) Easy to learn (possibly, but not imperative)
    2) Manipulable using a software with GUI (VB6-like, Gambas-like)
    3) Free (not really like VB6 )
    4) Cross-platform (I want to make apps for win&linux with the same source code, not necessary with the same software)

I admit it, this is kinda a dream, so, in the end, can you suggest me a programming language which meets my requirements ?

I thought about Java, C++, Pascal, but I couldn't found a software using GUI in order to write 2-3 lines of code. I tried BASIC (using Gambas), which was great but not cross-platform at all.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Just Joined!
    Have you looked at Visual Python? I don't know much about it, especially how cross-platform the resulting aps might be, but you might check it out. Even if Visual Python does not meet your requirements, Python is often mentioned in response to questions like yours without the emphasis on visual programming.

I'm not familiar with Visual Basic so can't guess at your programming skills or experience, but I suggest you try learning another language that will give you broader experience, potentially giving you skills transferable to other languages, platforms, and programming environments. There are open source IDEs and visual programming tools available for other higher-level languages that you might enjoy learning and not find too difficult.

Provide more info about what kind of aps you hope to write, what platforms you'd like them to run on, and your current programming skills/experience level, and you'll get better suggestions on which languages to consider and the tools available to make that experience as pleasant as possible.

Good luck!

Just Joined!
    I'm not very skilled: I created, for instance, apps able to make searches, open, classify .doc files; an organizer; a server pinger; a numerical randomizer; a parcellite-like app and so on... very simple apps indeed for simple needs simple programming language, someone could say :P all of those apps were for Win only.
    Right now, I'm trying two softwares, Eclipse (opensource) and Netbeans (freeware): they looks promising, they have GUI and they manage both JAVA and C++; but surely I will take a look at Visual Python tomorrow, it seems interesting indeed
    So, answering to your last questions: my programming needs are very simple, I hope to create apps able to organize documents (or files in general) and to remind me of something; I have experience only with VB (but I learn quickly enough) and anyway I'm not so skilled; I use most of the times Linux but I really need to use my apps on Win too

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjiodafh View Post
    I'm not very skilled: I created, for instance, apps able to make searches, open, classify .doc files; an organizer; a server pinger; a numerical randomizer; a parcellite-like app and so on... very simple apps indeed for simple needs simple programming language, someone could say :P all of those apps were for Win only.
    Right now, I'm trying two softwares, Eclipse (opensource) and Netbeans (freeware): they looks promising, they have GUI and they manage both JAVA and C++; but surely I will take a look at Visual Python tomorrow, it seems interesting indeed
    So, answering to your last questions: my programming needs are very simple, I hope to create apps able to organize documents (or files in general) and to remind me of something; I have experience only with VB (but I learn quickly enough) and anyway I'm not so skilled; I use most of the times Linux but I really need to use my apps on Win too
    I'd also like to opt Qt as worth a glance. It's a very GUI oriented language and there are Alot of tools out there for you to try out. It has a reasonable learning curve and can work on various platforms without too much hassle

Hope this helps, do check it out. It's a lovely language.

PPD