Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, it's my first time here, and unfortunatelly isn't for help someone, but i'll soon! My issue is: I'm doing a script to make some task but I would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[Solved] Function to close the script

Hi guys, it's my first time here, and unfortunatelly isn't for help someone, but i'll soon!
    My issue is:
    I'm doing a script to make some task but I would like to know how can I do the part to check the bu.log ? Cause if the files exists it will send me an email with the log, but when the file doesnt exist it will send a blank emal that why i would like to 'check the file' and if there isnt will end it.

#!/bin/sh
    x="$HOME/bu.log"
    if [ $x ]; then #if the file exists will do
    for file in *.log
    do
    i=${file%.*} #Will get me the name of the log without extension and send as subject
    cat bu.log | mail -s "$i" MYEMAILANDMYPROVIDER
    rm $HOME/arq.log
    done
    fi
    How can I edit the funcion to check if there isnt an arq.log and close the script?
    Thanks
    Last edited by tiagokb; 02-13-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: solved

Just Joined!
    First a remark: For my taste, I would not use the word file as a name for a variable because there is a Unix command with the same name. But it will not cause any trouble if the script is written correct. So, this is just a matter of taste.

Regarding your question to check whether a file exists, the simplest test is:

Code:
    if [ -e "$x" ]; then
    I would enclose the variable in quotes just in case the path or filename contains spaces.

The [ ] are a nicer looking equivalent for test. In bash, test is a builtin command, but it also exists as standalone program: /usr/bin/test. Therefore, this line would be equivalent the line above:

Code:
    if `test -e "$x"`; then
    The options for test are documented in the manpage for test. Here is an excerpt from man test:

Code:
           -e FILE
                  FILE exists

-f FILE
                  FILE exists and is a regular file

-r FILE
                  FILE exists and read permission is granted

-s FILE
                  FILE exists and has a size greater than zero
    Your script shall be executed by the old bourne shell sh. I am not very familiar with the differences between sh and bash but I think the [ ] cannot be used in sh. You may not get an error because on many Unixes all sh-scripts are executed by bash which knows the [ ]. To make things clean, I recommend to have your script officially executed by bash. So, I would write as first line:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    Another point: Are you sure that this line is really what you want:

Code:
    cat bu.log | mail -s "$i" MYEMAILANDMYPROVIDER
    It is enclosed in the for-loop. So, bu.log will be sent by e-mail in each iteration of the for-loop. I guess you want to send each logfile. Then the line should be:

Code:
    cat "$file" | mail -s "$i" MYEMAILANDMYPROVIDER

Quote Originally Posted by tiagokb View Post
    How can I edit the funcion to check if there isnt an arq.log and close the script?
    Thanks
    I am sorry, I don't understand this question.
    Anyway, I do not understand why arq.log is removed in each iteration of the for-loop. After the first iteration, arq.log will not be there any more and therefore rm will report an error in each following iteration.

Linux User
    Your script has some points I don't get:
    $x is the name of the file bu.log

If I am right you forgot a parameter:
    UNIX man pages : test ()
    if [ -e $x ]; then #if the file exists will do

As far I know [ ] is the same as write test ... just more common to write []

Then with the "for" you read all lines of all .log files where the script gets executed ...
    And for each line in this file you will send a mail with the line as subject

The text in the mail will always be bu.log

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #x="$HOME/bu.log"
    list="$HOME/mail.logs" #File with list of logs to be send
    for x in list do #For all entrys in this list
     if [ -e "$x" ]; then #if the file exists will do
      i=${file%.*} #Will get me the name of the log without extension and send as subject
       cat "$x" | mail -s "$i" MYEMAILANDMYPROVIDER
    #rm $HOME/arq.log
     fi
    done
    Thats what you looking for?!

Ps I haven't tested this script thatfor I've no idea if it's accually working.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks guys, i'll be more espefic

I did that but still one issue
    This script gets a .log from a software and that same software give me a file called DIFFERENTNAME.txt - That's why as my subject the script just gets the DIFFERENTNAME; then I need to make a decision first :
    If the file exists it will execute the script and send me the email with the name of .txt +the log content.
    If the script doesn't find the log will just end.
    And as the software makes a new log I need the function rm to remove it, thats why I added it
    This script will be on crontab and executing in 10 min.

Edit2: Guys It's working but when I put it on contrab in the second time that crontab runs it just gives as subject on email blank space - should give the name of .txt

#!/Bin/bash
    x="$HOME/softwarelog.log"
    if [ -e "$x" ]; then
    for file in *.txt
    do
    i=${file%.*}
    cat $HOME/softwarelog.log | mail -s "$i" MYEMAILMYPROVIDER
    rm $HOME/softwarelog.log
    rm $HOME/*.txt
    done
    fi
    Last edited by tiagokb; 02-13-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tiagokb View Post
    Code:
    #!/Bin/bash
    It has to be:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

The softwarelog.log is removed during the first iteration of the for-loop. Therefore, you get an empty e-mail in all following iterations. This problem would be solved by moving the done line up. But then the softwarelog.log would be removed no matter whether the for-loop was entered or not. So, a softwarelog.log may be removed without being sent out as e-mail.

Therefore, let me doubt the for-loop. It sends an e-mail for each file ending with .txt with the contents of softwarelog.log in the mail-body. So, the e-mails differ only in the subject-line. Is this really what you want to do?

If it is enough to send the contents of softwarelog.log only once with all filenames of txt-files as subject line, then do this:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    x="$HOME/softwarelog.log"
    if [ -e "$x" ]; then
      mailsubject=$(ls $HOME/*.txt | sed -e 's/.txt//' -e 's/.*\///' | xargs)
      if [ "$mailsubject" ]; then
        cat "$x" | mail -s "$mailsubject" MYEMAILMYPROVIDER
        rm "$x"
        rm $HOME/*.txt
      fi
    fi

Just Joined!
    Thank you so much Lahntaler, thar's what I'm looking for, one log multiple names as subject, worked great because the software log makes one .txt - each log generate only one .txt.
    Thank you so much, cause I was tring to do as loop and it was wrong, in that way will just make one task and end the script