Find the answer to your Linux question:
Using Ubantu Linux(10) with a python program that prints data coming in from bluetooth. The program works. Now I want to redirect so that the python print statement outputs to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with redirects

Using Ubantu Linux(10) with a python program that prints data coming in from bluetooth. The program works. Now I want to redirect so that the python print statement outputs to a file. I used the line:
    python test.py > log.txt
    Where test.py is my program.
    The print statement no longer outputs to the console, but when I ctrl/Z to return to Linux the log file is still empty. What am I doing wrong?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by carltown View Post
    Using Ubantu Linux(10) with a python program that prints data coming in from bluetooth. The program works. Now I want to redirect so that the python print statement outputs to a file. I used the line:
    python test.py > log.txt
    Where test.py is my program.
    The print statement no longer outputs to the console, but when I ctrl/Z to return to Linux the log file is still empty. What am I doing wrong?

What is the result you get as python test.py | log.txt

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by koopatrooper View Post
    What is the result you get as python test.py | log.txt
    With this redirect, the system no longer outputs to the console - acts like it is dumping it somewhere. When I ctrl/Z to stop the execution, however, the output file has zero bytes.