Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am learning C++ and wish to include some Boost functions in my code. My machine is running Debian Linux with the pre-installed boost binarys. I have a couple of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

using binary c++ libraries

I am learning C++ and wish to include some Boost functions in my code. My machine is running Debian Linux with the pre-installed boost binarys.

I have a couple of questions:

How do I include the library in my C++ code as there are no cpp or h files only binary files (eg /usr/lib/libboost_regex-d.so and /usr/lib/libboost_regex-d.a)

How do I comipile the code. I am using DialogBlocks for creating forms using wxwidgets. The editor also compiles the code using the gcc compiler. Do I have to give an instruction to the compiler saying which file is requried and where to find it? If so, any ideas how this is done?

Thanks in advance.

Michae
    l

Rather than figure out how to do it yourself,
    you can install the development libraries.
    libboost-dev seems to be the main package.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgreen View Post
    Rather than figure out how to do it yourself,
    you can install the development libraries.
    libboost-dev seems to be the main package.
    I see what you mean. I unistalled and reinstalled using libboost-deve and all the header files are now avialable.

Thanks

Just Joined!

Which folder to use and how to instruct the compiler/linker

The problem I have now is informing the GCC compiler / linker where the libarary files are.
    The following folders have binary files in:
    boost_1_44_0/bin.v2
    boost_1_44_0/stage/lib

Note,I have attached a picture of the folder tree structure.

Which folder contains the library I should use. In fact what is the difference between the two folders contents.

Also what instructions should I pass to the gcc compiler/linker?

Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    For the linker use the LDFLAGS argument "-L /usr/local/boost_1_44_0/bin.v2/libs -L /usr/local/boost_1_44/stage/lib" assuming that each of these are the actual paths to the libraries you need to link. From the directory tree however I don't think you ran "make install" after building everything. If you had then all the stuff you need would be in /usr/local/lib or /usr/local/lib64. In that case the LDFLAGS components would be "-L /usr/local/lib" or "-L /usr/local/lib64" depending upon whether you built boost in 32-bit or 64-bit format.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!