Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't know how to run a script at start-up that requires root privileges. I'm using Peppermint OS. For some reason my system has stopped running CUPS at boot. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need help with shell script for startup

I don't know how to run a script at start-up that requires root privileges. I'm using Peppermint OS. For some reason my system has stopped running CUPS at boot. I can manually start it in a terminal and all is well until I shut down. I was wanting to write a shell script that would start it for me, but I need help. I know there must be multiple ways to do this. What method would you use?

Run as root:
    Code:
    #!bin/bash
    service cups start

Quote Originally Posted by graphicks View Post
    I don't know how to run a script at start-up that requires root privileges. I'm using Peppermint OS. For some reason my system has stopped running CUPS at boot. I can manually start it in a terminal and all is well until I shut down. I was wanting to write a shell script that would start it for me, but I need help. I know there must be multiple ways to do this. What method would you use?

Run as root:
    Code:
    #!bin/bash
    service cups start
    I'm not specifically familiar with Peppermint. But what you want to do is get it into the rc startup. Does it have the chkconfig command? Then
    chkconfig cups on
    should take care of it. If not, then you could probably put a call to your script in /etc/rc.local and init would run it as root after running all of the other init rc scripts. Or just put your "service cups start" command directly in rc.local.

Maybe someone with Peppermint or Mint experience will weigh in on this, but after you got no answers for this long I thought I'd make a suggestion.
    Last edited by Mudgen; 02-25-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: add

Linux Newbie
    Appears to be Debian based. Do the following as root --

Code:
    update-rc.d cups defaults

Just Joined!
    Try Boot Up Manager!

sudo apt-get install bum
    sudo bum

I appreciate the responses. I got busy for a few days on other things, but now I'm working on it again. The
    Code:
    didn't get it going. Then I added my command to rc.local and it didn't work either. I'm still at it.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by graphicks View Post
    I appreciate the responses. I got busy for a few days on other things, but now I'm working on it again. The
    Code:
    didn't get it going. Then I added my command to rc.local and it didn't work either. I'm still at it.
    What was the output of the command?

Just Joined!
    in debian like dietros u can use "rcconf".