Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all recently I had been to interview where I had a question to be answered, that what are advantages and disadvantages when desiging an application in linux. I couldnt ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Difference between message queues and named pipes

Hi all recently I had been to interview where I had a question to be answered, that what are advantages and disadvantages when desiging an application in linux.
    I couldnt answer the question. Can anyone guide me

thanks in advance

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Named pipes are useful for simple IPC messaging. POSIX message queues are more appropriate for complex communication and notification requirements, especially where a server may be doing a lot of ancillary processing. They are both tools for interprocess communication and coordination, and can have multiple readers/writers involved. What the differences are in resource utilization and efficiency, I'm not sure. One important difference is that message queue messages can be prioritized, which pipes cannot do. Pipes are purely FIFO devices, where queues can prioritize traffic in order to process more time-critical events appropriately.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!