Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all; I am having all sorts of trouble trying to assign a variable within an awk script with the system command. I know there is a lot of ways ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    mrz
    Just Joined!

assigning bash variable with the system command in awk

Hi all;

I am having all sorts of trouble trying to assign a variable within an awk script with the system command. I know there is a lot of ways around this problem, but for efficiency reasons, I would like to, within my awk script, do something like

system(x=3)

or

system(x=NR)

and, latter on the shell script which calls the awk script, use the variable $x. But nothing is passed to x.

I have already tried things like

command = "x=3"
    system(command)

and also used a pipeline within the system to pipe it to /bin/sh

In fact tried a lot of stuff like that, using $(( )) etc etc etc

Funny thing is that I can create directories e write to files (yes, i could write to a file and read from there, but I dont think it is efficient, plus I am puzzled).

I guess it has something to do with a shell sub-process.

Thanks a lot in advance.

just guessing, but system(export X=3) may saves the day?

mrz
    Just Joined!
    Good guess, but it also do not work. I guess the point here is export a variable from a shell sub-process to its parent process (maybe if this was the title of the thread a lot of people would be giving their shots).

From the parent to the child you do it with export, the other way around seems to be tricky.

thinking about it: the other way around should be impossible as that would be dangerous and would create big problems as it would be the easiest way to manipulate a system.

btw: shouldn't the awk script know what to do and output proper data that (if wanted) could be parsed by the invoker?

mrz
    Just Joined!
    I see your point, but I guess it is not impossible. But surely I would have to make my parent process read from the child (and this is one thing I was missing at first).

In general it seems that a coprocess would be the way around this, but you cannot use it with awk. Anyway I found another way to solve my problem, but after your guess on the 10:27 post I learnt a lot of things. Thanks!

glad to have helped .. don't know how but glad anyway.

solve the thread once you believe it is appropriate to do so.

mrz
    Just Joined!
    It was after your post that I realised the obvious (that awk aws run in a child process), that's how you've helped (and thanks also for the suggestions themselves).

As for the "solved", although I found another way around my particular problem, the original question is still open, and I think it is worth answering.

I do not believe there exists a solution for above usecase, but maybe we've got a brainy guy out there who knows.