Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I just started using eclipse. Ie, I followed all the instructions to set up C++ and run a simple hello world program. However, I seem to have hit ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

eclipse and c++ misrepresentation of characters

Hi there, I just started using eclipse. Ie, I followed all the instructions to set up C++ and run a simple hello world program.
    However, I seem to have hit a snag.
    When I build the solution I get an error. I realized where there should be a > there is a | instead. Every time I type > the | prints instead and I have no idea how to fix this.
    Any suggestions would be great!

Thank you.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    How is your keyboard configured for the X server? My guess is that the key mappings are incorrect for your system. Do you get the same problem if you are typing in OpenOffice, or on the command line, for example? If not, then perhaps it is a configuration error in Eclipse.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your reply. The key mappings were correct. We tried everything from copy pasting the symbol from else where to changing a bunch of settings. Turns out it was the font. Go figure.

From now on whenever I select a font I am checking to make sure the symbols display correctly.

I'm just glad it wasn't anything else, and it is now up and running.

Thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Yeah. Must have been a cousin to the "Gobbledygook" font - whatever you type, something else (random) is displayed!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!