Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Don't know about 'pyhton', and honestly, I don't know the answer with regard to 'python' either! I don't use it (python) for HTML programming. Mostly, I am involved with lower/system-level ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

Don't know about 'pyhton', and honestly, I don't know the answer with regard to 'python' either! I don't use it (python) for HTML programming. Mostly, I am involved with lower/system-level programming issues, so pure C/C++ (and XML/WSDL/SOAP) are more my cuppaT.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    but then you're just the man i need:

I've build an electronics interface card for my linux pc making use of the GPIO lib.
    but now i want to remote control it, like trough the web.

i'm currently programming it with cgi scripting on a apache http server, but the more I read, the more I doubt if this is the right way to do that...regarding security issues.

Maybe it is better to hardcode a client-server model with sockets an TCP protocol, but that is way more complicated then cgi programming with python or even c cgi apps!

the project is for some home automation.

Whats your opinion rubberman?

(please keep in mind the fact that i am only a hobbyist )

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudie View Post
    but then you're just the man i need:

I've build an electronics interface card for my linux pc making use of the GPIO lib.
    but now i want to remote control it, like trough the web.

i'm currently programming it with cgi scripting on a apache http server, but the more I read, the more I doubt if this is the right way to do that...regarding security issues.

Maybe it is better to hardcode a client-server model with sockets an TCP protocol, but that is way more complicated then cgi programming with python or even c cgi apps!

the project is for some home automation.

Whats your opinion rubberman?

(please keep in mind the fact that i am only a hobbyist )
    But one of more than passing competence I think! Being careful of buffer overflow issues, I would (most simple) poke a hole in my firewall for a TCP/IP port to use that would be listened on by my controller application, or alternatively set up an OpenVPN server on my system and allow that port # to be accessible thru the firewall. That will allow you full access to the system via any suitable VPN client. Either method will work, although the VPN one will give you more options for C&C and system access.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    thanks for your good advice!

the best way for me is the client-server model (TCP/IP).
    I'll get started and let you know what the outcome might be, because i'll be needing your advice during this project, as i'll be walking the linux-way

(also forgive me for my poor english)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2