Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I am very new in linux and I have got problem with compiling a program evalglare for glare analysis. I am sure I am doing so beginner mistake, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem with compling program by makefile

Hello all,
    I am very new in linux and I have got problem with compiling a program evalglare for glare analysis. I am sure I am doing so beginner mistake, but I can not figure it out. I am installing it on mac OSX 10.5.8.

what I have done is I unpacked evalglare-v0.9f.tar.gz which contains files

Makefile
    evalglare.c
    pictool.c
    platform.h
    buglist
    documentation_v0.9f.pdf
    pictool.h

and folders

geometry
    common

The file "documentation_v0.9f.pdf" does not contains any instructions how ti install, it is documentation of the program functionality.

What I did I have run from the package
    David:evalglare Dave$ make

getting those lines
    gcc -c -g -DMSDOS -DPICT_GLARE -DFLOAT=double -O3 -Wall -o common/color.o common/color.c -I. -Igeometry
    gcc -c -g -DMSDOS -DPICT_GLARE -DFLOAT=double -O3 -Wall -o common/resolu.o common/resolu.c -I. -Igeometry
    common/resolu.c: In function 'str2resolu':
    common/resolu.c:98: warning: implicit declaration of function 'atoi'
    gcc -c -g -DMSDOS -DPICT_GLARE -DFLOAT=double -O3 -Wall -o common/header.o common/header.c -I. -Igeometry
    gcc -c -g -DMSDOS -DPICT_GLARE -DFLOAT=double -O3 -Wall -o common/image.o common/image.c -I. -Igeometry
    gcc -c -g -DMSDOS -DPICT_GLARE -DFLOAT=double -O3 -Wall -o common/fvect.o common/fvect.c -I. -Igeometry
    gcc -c -g -DMSDOS -DPICT_GLARE -DFLOAT=double -O3 -Wall -o common/badarg.o common/badarg.c -I. -Igeometry
    gcc -c -g -DMSDOS -DPICT_GLARE -DFLOAT=double -O3 -Wall -o common/words.o common/words.c -I. -Igeometry
    gcc -c -g -DMSDOS -DPICT_GLARE -DFLOAT=double -O3 -Wall -o common/fputword.o common/fputword.c -I. -Igeometry
    gcc -c -g -DMSDOS -DPICT_GLARE -DFLOAT=double -O3 -Wall -o common/expandarg.o common/expandarg.c -I. -Igeometry
    gcc -c -g -DMSDOS -DPICT_GLARE -DFLOAT=double -O3 -Wall -o common/wordfile.o common/wordfile.c -I. -Igeometry
    gcc -c -g -DMSDOS -DPICT_GLARE -DFLOAT=double -O3 -Wall -o common/bmalloc.o common/bmalloc.c -I. -Igeometry
    gcc -c -g -DMSDOS -DPICT_GLARE -DFLOAT=double -O3 -Wall -o common/mat4.o common/mat4.c -I. -Igeometry
    gcc -c -g -DMSDOS -DPICT_GLARE -DFLOAT=double -O3 -Wall -o pictool.o pictool.c -I. -Igeometry
    In file included from pictool.h:12,
    from pictool.c:1:
    geometry/g3affine.h:14:19: error: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from pictool.h:12,
    from pictool.c:1:
    geometry/g3affine.h:26: error: syntax error before 'GLdouble'
    geometry/g3affine.h:27: error: syntax error before 'GLdouble'
    pictool.c: In function 'read_exposure':
    pictool.c:89: error: nested functions are disabled, use -fnested-functions to re-enable
    pictool.c: In function 'pict_read_fp':
    pictool.c:228: warning: unused variable 'ex'
    pictool.c: In function 'pict_write_fp':
    pictool.c:519: warning: unused variable 'argv'
    pictool.c:518: warning: unused variable 'argc'
    make: *** [pictool.o] Error 1

and when I tried to run

David:evalglare Dave$ make install

I have got this error and the program was not install.
    make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

Thank you for any advices
    David

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, the basic problem is that you are missing a header file (GL/gl.h) that you need, and likely a library as well. As for the error from "make install", that is probably due to the fact that this application is intended to be installed manually, so there is no "install:" target in the Makefile.

FYI, the GL/gl.h header is part of the Mesa 3-D graphics package. So, you need to download and install that first.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hi, thank you for your advice, however I am still lost and without installed Mesa 3-D. I have unpacked and try to use both Building with Autoconf and Building with traditional Makefiles but I did not got further with Autoconf then typing ./configure and then make, after that I have got several error messages. I guess that I should use some options, by I dont have idea what. I am sure that those are trivial problems but I really don't know how to go through it. I really appreciate your help.
    Could someone advice me how to install also Mesa 3-D.

Furthermore what is a meaning that the program has to be installed manually. Wouldn't be enough to place it in correct directory and run it from there.

Please let me know if you need any information.
    David

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Apfik View Post
    Furthermore what is a meaning that the program has to be installed manually. Wouldn't be enough to place it in correct directory and run it from there.
    That's basically what I meant. There also may be libraries to copy to locations like /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib. Unless you are really comfortable with what you are doing, then you should install stuff you have built from source into /usr/local, such as /usr/local/bin for executables, /usr/local/lib for libraries, etc. At least that is the case for most Unix systems, and for Linux. Since OSX is a BSD Unix derivative, I would think that holds true there as well, but since I am not an Apple expert, I can't state that for sure.

Anyway, I would strongly suggest that you go onto some Apple forums to get more information about building/installing programs on Apple systems since that is what you have. I'm sure people there can help you much better than we can for the most part.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    You need to either install the package refered to as GL or add the currently installed version to your search path. i.e. export Path += ..... Also, you could just specifiy the entire path in the make file. To do this you would add -I/folder/location/../GL/ to the make file include directories.

Also, you should be able to add extra cflags to the make command, after doing this you will be able to add -fnested-functions. You could also add this flag inside the makefile.