Find the answer to your Linux question:
I been using linux for a while, but I havent had the time to really learn it. Something Id like to get more familiar with is bash so here is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

make a new folder for each file in a particular folder

I been using linux for a while, but I havent had the time to really learn it. Something Id like to get more familiar with is bash so here is a simple example of something I would like to do:

I have a directory full of files. For each file in the directory create a new subdirectory with each files name.

I tried this:

#im already in this directory
    aaa=./*
    for a in $aaa
    do mkdir $a
    done

One of the problems is that there are spaces () and - in the filenames so I get many subfolders with names like "-" which i don't want.

I tried stuff like:
    aaa=./*
    for a in $aaa
    do mkdir "'"$a"'"
    done

This of course also did not work.

Additional I tried just creating a folder with the name of one of the files and I got this:
    mkdir: cannot create directory `(audio) - R56339.EXE': File exists
    Well yeah a file exsists with that name, but I want to create a folder- why is there a conflict?

Just to be clear here are the contents of this folder:
    ~/Desktop/LAB/Media/Drivers - (Image Deployment)/Optiplex_GX260/XP> ls
    (audio) - R56339.EXE (NIC-Onboard-Intel) - R54402.EXE
    (Modem-datafax-V92) - R54403.EXE OEM_Applications
    (modem-PCI-V90) - copperXP.EXE (Video-Onboard-82845G-GL-GE-PE-GV) - R126990.EXE
    (modem-soft-v92) - R54335.EXE (Video-Onboard-Intel G) - R79733.EXE
    ~/Desktop/LAB/Media/Drivers - (Image Deployment)/Optiplex_GX260/XP>

OEM_Applications is a folder

Thanks for any replies. All I ask is go easy on the terseness I'm a newbie here.

Hey, Red888.

I am new to BASH scripting as well and trying to learn. I put the following script together to try and accomplish your task.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# Save current $IFS contents
    SAVEIFS=$IFS

# Set new $IFS contents
    IFS=$(echo -en "\n\b")  

# Check script name
    name=`basename $0`

# Process each file in current directory
    for f in *; do
    	# Process all directories and files?
    	if [ "$1" = "-a" ]; then
    		mkdir -pv "./dir/$f"
    	else     
    		# Is $f a directory?
      		if [ -d $f ]; then
    			echo $f is a directory.
      		else                                         
        		mkdir -pv "./dir/$f"  
    		fi
    	fi
    done

# Clean-up directory named after script
    rmdir "./dir/$name"

# Revert to previous $IFS contents
    IFS=$SAVEIFS
    If you append "-a" after the script name right before execution, it will process directories instead of simply files. If no option is specified, it will only process files.

Note that "$IFS" is an environmental variable built into BASH. It determines how BASH recognizes field separation. In this example, the field separator is set to a new-line and a backspace. This is what causes the for loop to process a space-separated file name as a single name. Since this is an environment variable, it will effect how other BASH scripts function as well, so when the script above finishes we have it revert to how it was before we changed it.

The script will of course need to be ran from within the directory of the files to be processed. One issue is that it appears a file and a directory cannot co-exist with the same name, in the same location. Because of this, the script will create a new sub-directory called 'dir' and create all the sub-directories, based on the processed file names inside of the dir directory.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or problems with the script.
    Last edited by Nagarjuna; 03-29-2011 at 02:13 AM.