Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm relatively new to shell scripting and I just started studying on my own using a book by Richard Blum - Linux Command line and Shell scripting(sorry couldnt post ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

shell scripting question

Hi,

I'm relatively new to shell scripting and I just started studying on my own using a book by Richard Blum - Linux Command line and Shell scripting(sorry couldnt post the link)
    I'm using ubuntu 10.04 at the moment and i'm halfway finished with the book. Is this a good place to start as I seem to be learning a lot, but after I finish the book, where do I go from here? I don't use linux or unix at my job but I really enjoy the challenge. Is this a skill that can be useful at certain companies? I currently have a degree in MIS and I'm wondering if taking the time to learn linux and shell scripting will help me make a career move.

Thanks,

Many companies use Linux as servers, but it certainly depends on the job about whether or not knowing Linux will help you in your career. In my experience, yes, but you can certainly find many jobs where you don't need to know Linux at all.

If you are using Linux and are working as a systems administrator, knowing Bash scripting is incredibly helpful. It's a good skill for any Linux user, but for admins particularly.

Where you go from here is just writing scripts. Find things that you do and learn how to automate them. Write simple programs to make your life easier. Things like that. My favourite resource for Bash scripting is:

Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide

Shell scripting by itself may not be very important unless you are pursuing a job in linux, but not necessarily. If you plan to run linux at home, it'd be good to have some basic scripting knowledge. Nothing extravagant is necessary, but if you enjoy doing it, definitely keep going.

If you are planning on finding a linux job, bash scripting by itself is useful, but IMHO many/most companies would want other languages too (such as python or perl). Not that bash scripting would look bad, it would look very good, but it may look better on a resume if you have perl or python (or others) as well.

As Cabhan mentioned, the Advanced Bash Scripting Guide from TLDP is gold. I've spent several years coding in several languages, including writing basic and advanced shell scripts. Sometimes I still reference that guide for one thing or another. Great read! (especially if you are actually enjoying the information)

Linux User
    Well, for most things, learning it is better than not learning it, and because Linux is used in so many places in across so many different industries, the more you learn about it the better, even if there are no immediate applications where you work. Really, Linux is everywhere, from super-computers to cell-phones, to TV sets, to single-function micro-controllers.

My personal goal is to try and learn as many commonly used Linux programming languages as possible. But certainly, Bash, AWK, GNU Make, and C/C++ are the most important for programmers and administrators. Still, here is my checklist:
    • Bash
    • Sed
    • Awk
    • GNU Make
    • Perl
    • Python
    • Ruby
    • TkTcl
    • C/C++
    • lex
    • yacc
    • bison
    • Java
    • PHP
    • OCaml
    • Haskell
    • Emacs Lisp
    • vim scripting
    I already know about half of those, but I could always learn more about the languages I already know, and I can always learn a language I haven't tried before.