Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'd like to know if it's possible in my program (C/C++) to create a filesystem on a partition, maybe with advanced options too. I don't want to call the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Filesystem formatting in C

Hi,

I'd like to know if it's possible in my program (C/C++) to create a filesystem on a partition, maybe with advanced options too. I don't want to call the shell and execute the usual commands to do that, so I wonder if there are some native Linux syscalls or external libraries to do that.

Thanks in advance,
    Lisa

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    And you want to reinvent the wheel why?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Why I'm reinventing the wheel?

However, I don't like executing shell commands from my programs, if there's an alternative. Maybe those commands (like mke2fs for example) are using some syscalls or libraries I can have access too from my program; I couldn't find anything on Google about it, but you never know your luck ^^

Lisa

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    "Reinventing the wheel" refers to doing work that someone else has already done.

There is pretty much no reason to avoid using external programs, since they implement a lot of functionality. There is no system call to format a filesystem; this is what those external programs are for.

If your real problem is going through the shell, you can certainly use fork/exec to execute the program directly. However, you should be using mke2fs to accomplish this.

For debian derivates this should get you the sources:

$ apt-get source util-linux

However, I agree my pre-posters unless you're doing this to learn how things work. Otherwise doing things on your own most probably would cause just problems.

Just Joined!
    I am certain you can download the gparted source: sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted/

Download it and see how they do it. While I agree with the previous commenters,-- after all this is unix programming and one of the central principles is to never write a piece of code that has already been written well-- sometimes you need to tweek their functionality to do something completely different.

P.S. I am sure you know this, but such an application will need to be run as root.

Just Joined!
    Thanks to everyone for the advices. I'll see how to use existent filesystem management programs in an efficient way

Lisa