Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I'm a software developer making a static library on an embedded platform. I'm mounting a USB key with my source code and working from that directory, I'm simply ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

protecting source code -gcc on IGEP platform

Hi there,

I'm a software developer making a static library on an embedded platform. I'm mounting a USB key with my source code and working from that directory, I'm simply running gcc.

I have to return the board and want to avoid having my source code accidentally available somewhere on the board. I'm keeping my USB key of course, but am wondering if there are ways that it could inadvertently get onto the main computer or its SD card that it's booting from.

Any issues anyone can think of related to this? For example, does gcc temporarily copy files somewhere?

Thanks,
    Nevil

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The compiler chain does create temporary files when building code, but they are generally removed after the build is complete. Usually these would be in /tmp, or other temporary locations. I don't really know where, if they do indeed exist. I also build on an embedded system, with the source on a network drive remote from the system and it's SD card. So far, I have seen nothing that indicates that cruft is being left around, at least speaking for the GNU compiler suite.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!