Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I am the developer of FTPbox, a dropbox-alternative that syncs files with your own host via FTP, instead of some 3rd-party website like dropbox.com. FTPbox is only available ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FTPbox - Help needed porting to Linux!

Hello everyone,

I am the developer of FTPbox, a dropbox-alternative that syncs files with your own host via FTP, instead of some 3rd-party website like dropbox.com.

FTPbox is only available for windows right now. It's still in a beta state, which means there's still lots of work to be done!

The reason I am making this thread is, because I need someone to help me port it to Linux. It might work using wine and all like it is, but a version that's directly made for Linux would be much better, I believe!

If anyone thinks he can get this done, please do contact me or reply here with any sort of questions!

You can find more about the project by visiting ftpbox.org

Thanks in advance,
    John

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    One presumes you wrote this originally for Windows? Have you written any Unix/Linux software in the past?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    One presumes you wrote this originally for Windows? Have you written any Unix/Linux software in the past?
    Yes, I wrote it in C#, thus for windows only. And no, I have no experience with writing unix/linux software...

Edit:
    If I had experience, I would write this myself

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you tried running your software under Mono, the Linux .net environment?

Just Joined!
    Have you tried running your software under Mono, the Linux .net environment?
    No, but I guess Mono is my best option after all...

At least start there, with mono. C++ is quite similar in structure to C#, but there are lots of gotchas, not to mention learning all the make/build stuff. However, there is a native C library, ftplib, that has all the functionality you need for direct program FTP access to remote systems without calling out to an FTP client program.

Just Joined!
    At least start there, with mono. C++ is quite similar in structure to C#, but there are lots of gotchas, not to mention learning all the make/build stuff. However, there is a native C library, ftplib, that has all the functionality you need for direct program FTP access to remote systems without calling out to an FTP client program.
    Yeah, I guess I'll go with Mono, as far as none offers to do it. Thank you for your responses!