Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to write a program that calculates square roots. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work out. The method I am using is like this: Suppose I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

C++ problem

I'm trying to write a program that calculates square roots. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work out.

The method I am using is like this:

Suppose I want to find sqrt s.
    Then I set x_0=s
    x_n= 0.5 * (x_{n-1}+(s/(x_{n-1}))

This is what i've written:

#include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {

double s, x, y;

cout << "Number sqrt of: ";
    cin >> s;

for(x = s; x-y >= 0.0000000001; x = y) {

y = 0.5 * (x + (s / x) );

cout << y << "\n";

}

return 0;

}

To ensure the program terminates, i'm performing x_n-x_{n-1} and if this is less than 0.0000000001, the program should terminate.

Unfortunately it isn't doing that. It keeps outputting 1.5 which is the first step.

Why isn't it looping?

Just Joined!

The method of calculation is wrong

I will do this:

#include <iostream>
    using namespace std;
    int main(int argc, char **argv)
    {
    double s, x, y = 0;

cout << "Number sqrt of: ";
    cin >> s;

for( x = s; x != y; ) {

y = x;

x = ( (s / x) + x ) * .5;

cout << y << "\n";

}

return 0;
    }

Saludos
    pEpE

Just Joined!
    The end of the for loop you set x=y and when you check x-y >= 0.0000000001, it will always be false because x-y = 0 and you then exit the loop. You need to compare the last guessed answer(your ? variable) to the current guessed answer(your y variable).

Just Joined!
    Sorry for the late reply, I got a new computer!

Thanks histrungalot, it was a bit stupid of me doing that =S

Also thanks valdezpepe. Can you explain why you write int main(int argc, char **argv) instead of int main()? Your program still works if you just write int main(), is this for "completeness"?

EDIT: One last thing, why does your program terminate? If i'm reading this right, your program terminates when x != y which is every step. So wouldn't you fall out of the loop straight away?

Sorry for all these questions, i'm just trying to understand every step of what you've done.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catch_22 View Post
    Also thanks valdezpepe. Can you explain why you write int main(int argc, char **argv) instead of int main()? Your program still works if you just write int main(), is this for "completeness"?
    Using main(int argc, char **argv) is just telling the program to prepare for command line arguments to be passed to it. For instance, you could use this too extract and print the first word after the program name. (When executing in a terminal)

Code:
    if(argc > 0) {
         std::cout << argv[1] << std::endl;
    }
    Just insert that into the main loop and execute the program with the following...

Code:
    >> program_name <word that you want printed>
    Using main() is more for compiling libraries. I recommend reading the cplusplus site they have a wealth of knowledge concerning the c++ standards and basics.

Matt