Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can I rename a file inside a zip archive without extracting and repacking the whole zip. I didn't find anything useful in the zip and 7z man pages (or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

rename file in zip archive

How can I rename a file inside a zip archive without extracting and repacking the whole zip. I didn't find anything useful in the zip and 7z man pages (or I am just blind).

And it needs to be doable from the command line because in need it in a script. So a gui tool won't do.

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    For now, I am using a package called fuse-zip to mount a zip, rename files inside the zip and unmount again. It actually works pretty well. But I would still prefer a a tool that would do it without mounting/mounting, because it's a bit cumbersome.

Trusted Penguin
    Have you checked out zipnote? It should come with the zip package - at least it is part of the zip package in Fedora/Red Hat.

Just Joined!
    Thanks atreyu. That was exactly what I was looking for. The usage is a bit weird but efficient. For example:
    Code:
    echo -e "@ oldfilename\n@=newfilename" | zipnote -w test.zip

Trusted Penguin
    and thanks for sharing an example of the squirrelly syntax - i didn't bother trying to figure it out!