Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I edit a shell script as my regular user account, keywords within the script are colorful. Variables are dark blue, text inside double-quotes is pink, shell commands are yellow, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Colorful vi

When I edit a shell script as my regular user account, keywords within the script are colorful. Variables are dark blue, text inside double-quotes is pink, shell commands are yellow, comments after a # are cyan.

When I edit the same files using vi as root, there are no colors. My guess is that this is configured in .profile or .bash_profile or something like that in each user's home directory, but I cannot find the specific file. So, do anyone know how to make vi colorful for root as well?

Thanks in advance...

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

If you haven't tried it, I believe vim can display in color as root user but not sure about vi.

Maybe someone else will have more info for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    you would be better suited using vim.

Trusted Penguin
    First make sure vim is installed, as was suggested:
    Code:
    which vim
    If installed, it will likely be in /usr/bin/vim.

Now as root, do this, in a terminal:
    Code:
    which vi
    if it reports an alias pointing to 'vim', then no changes needed there. if it reports 'vi', then put something like this in root's ~/.bashrc:
    Code:
    alias vi='/usr/bin/vim'
    now source the file, so that vi is aliased to vim.

next, open a file as root with vi, say /etc/bashrc (so we know there is syntax highlighting to be able to see). in it turn on syntax highlighting with this:

Code:
    :syntax on
    If the colors do not appear, then something is wrong - post back. But if the colors do appear, then quit out of vi and add something like this to your vim profile, ~/.vimrc:
    Code:
    syntax on
    That should do it.

NOTE: some versions of Fedora/Red Hat would put a line in /etc/profile.d/vim.sh to not allow root users to alias vi to vim for some crazy ass reason.