Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've built server using webtoolkit.eu. It runs fine on my development system, which runs Debian 6.0.2 64-bit. However, when I install it on my client's server, which also runs Deban ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Code works on one linux system, fails on another, any suggests?

I've built server using webtoolkit.eu. It runs fine on my development system, which runs Debian 6.0.2 64-bit. However, when I install it on my client's server, which also runs Deban 6.0.2, 64-bit, it fails early-on trying to parse command line parameters. webtoolkit uses boost program options to parse, so I don't think it's a bug there.

I suspect the issue is in the shared libraries. I statically link most of the code, however some of the common libraries (stdc++, pthread, etc) are dynamically linked.

So my questions:
    1) Is there any easy way of comparing the versions of the libraries on the two systems for differences?
    2) Any other ideas on how to diagnose this problem?

Thanks for any help

Just Joined!

File comparison

Quote Originally Posted by forexcoder View Post
    I've built server using webtoolkit.eu. It runs fine on my development system, which runs Debian 6.0.2 64-bit. However, when I install it on my client's server, which also runs Deban 6.0.2, 64-bit, it fails early-on trying to parse command line parameters. webtoolkit uses boost program options to parse, so I don't think it's a bug there.

I suspect the issue is in the shared libraries. I statically link most of the code, however some of the common libraries (stdc++, pthread, etc) are dynamically linked.

So my questions:
    1) Is there any easy way of comparing the versions of the libraries on the two systems for differences?
    2) Any other ideas on how to diagnose this problem?

Thanks for any help
    ================================

1. Create an NFS share from your system to a sample machine

Code:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo
    2. Run dpkg -l {application name}, this helps to identify the version of the file running on the location sysem

Code:
    dpkg -l webtoolkit or dpkg -l pthread (example)
    3. Run diff on the files in question on both systems, just verify they are the same.

Code:
    diff {src file} nfs:/{dst file location}
    4. One thing I would do is to compare the "make" files and gcc compilers.

Code:
    diff make nfs:/{make location}
    diff gcc nfs:/{gcc location}
    This will give us an indication of the differences for each file type.

In addition, be sure to check the permissions of the directory in which you are trying to run the file. Ensure the same permissions apply on both machines.

In future, I would run imaging software on the primary machine, so if there are modifications, you would just re-image the machine or set it up in a Vmware or Redhat Xen/KVM environment so you can just copy the file over to another host machine.

Good luck with your troubleshooting

tdsan

Trusted Penguin
    I'd run ldd on the binary on your working system and generate the list of involved libraries. Then go to the 2nd system and look for the list of libraries that you've generated.

E.g.:
    Code:
    ldd /path/to/your/binary

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close