Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Team, I want to write a script which will take a backup of my home directory. But will only backup the changes made in files not whole home directory. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Backup home directory

Hi Team,

I want to write a script which will take a backup of my home directory. But will only backup the changes made in files not whole home directory. I want to upload that on server. I don't have any idea. please help me.

For whole file rsync ... see here - I'm using the snapshot script at the bottom of the linked page

Just Joined!
    rsync is good. First execution will copy everything. Subsequent executions will only copy changes. Use "--delete" option to remove deleted files from the backup if desired.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Of course, you could look at "Back in Time" which (uses rsync inside) and has a GUI and a scheduler as well. But unlike using rsync only, you can go back to a version of a file that has since been replaced by a newer version in the backup.

The script at the bottom of the page I linked to does a backup if sufficient has changed ... using date for the directory tree so you can access old information. There are lots of options but what works best is down to requirements and personal preference