Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

FileZilla works, SFTP not

I need to connect to an sftp-site with a private/public key combination. I've sent my public key to the site administrator and can connect with FileZilla without any problems. Within FileZilla I specified the location of my private key in the SFTP-settings.

I would like to automate my FTP commands in a script, so my next step was to try sftp.

I tried sftp with the -i option referring tot the private key file. I've also tried to copy the private key file to the .ssh-directory and chmod the key file to 600.

But each time sftp requires a password after connecting, whereas FileZilla works out-of-the-box.

Can you help me to solve this so I can consider scripting my downloads?

Tx for your help

Ivan

Try using -b or whatever batchfile option you have available. Consult the man pages for more info about the exact option.

The batchfile should contain the line-by-line commands you would pass to the server (username, password, etc.) Below is an example of what might be in the batch file.

Code:
    myusername
    mypassword
    cd some/directory
    put somefile
    quit
    linux user # 503963

Tx for your reply, but I cannot login. The system keeps asking me for a password, even if I provide the private key file.

In FileZilla it is working, but I want it to make it work in scripting.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    As in login with a password or you put a password in your private key?
    linux user # 503963

When generating the public and private key, I entered a passphrase. But the first time I've used FileZilla, FZ asked me the passphrase to unlock the private key so I could save the unlocked private key.

When using FileZilla that uses this unlocked private key, I have no problem logging into the sftp-site.

But when I want to use this unlocked private key with "sftp -i unlock_private_key.ppk user@host.com" sftp asks for a password. I've tried to chmod 600 the private key file, but this didn't help.

Ivan

SOLVED

I had to convert the private key file-format (PPK) to an OPENSSH-format.