Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to connect to an sftp-site with a private/public key combination. I've sent my public key to the site administrator and can connect with FileZilla without any problems. Within ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FileZilla works, SFTP not

I need to connect to an sftp-site with a private/public key combination. I've sent my public key to the site administrator and can connect with FileZilla without any problems. Within FileZilla I specified the location of my private key in the SFTP-settings.

I would like to automate my FTP commands in a script, so my next step was to try sftp.

I tried sftp with the -i option referring tot the private key file. I've also tried to copy the private key file to the .ssh-directory and chmod the key file to 600.

But each time sftp requires a password after connecting, whereas FileZilla works out-of-the-box.

Can you help me to solve this so I can consider scripting my downloads?

Tx for your help

Ivan

Try using -b or whatever batchfile option you have available. Consult the man pages for more info about the exact option.

The batchfile should contain the line-by-line commands you would pass to the server (username, password, etc.) Below is an example of what might be in the batch file.

Code:
    myusername
    mypassword
    cd some/directory
    put somefile
    quit
    linux user # 503963

Just Joined!
    Tx for your reply, but I cannot login. The system keeps asking me for a password, even if I provide the private key file.

In FileZilla it is working, but I want it to make it work in scripting.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    As in login with a password or you put a password in your private key?
    linux user # 503963

Just Joined!
    When generating the public and private key, I entered a passphrase. But the first time I've used FileZilla, FZ asked me the passphrase to unlock the private key so I could save the unlocked private key.

When using FileZilla that uses this unlocked private key, I have no problem logging into the sftp-site.

But when I want to use this unlocked private key with "sftp -i unlock_private_key.ppk user@host.com" sftp asks for a password. I've tried to chmod 600 the private key file, but this didn't help.

Ivan

Just Joined!
    SOLVED

I had to convert the private key file-format (PPK) to an OPENSSH-format.