Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I have cross_compiled a few different things for Android over the last year. Now I'm trying to do the same with samba, but this gives me some problems. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cross_compile and static linking

Hi.
    I have cross_compiled a few different things for Android over the last year. Now I'm trying to do the same with samba, but this gives me some problems. The configure part ignores everything I tell it to do.

I have a arm cross compiler installed that is set in the CC variable. But when i tell ./configure to use --prefix, --enable-static, --host and --disable-shared it makes no difference. The binaries that comes out of 'make' is not statically linked, they are not cross_compiled for arm and the installation dir is still set to /usr/local/samba although I changed it.

How do I compile samba for Android?
    And I know there are a samba android package, but that is not what i am looking for. I don't want the app, just the binaries.

Just Joined!
    Hi, have you seen this link?
    Samba/Compiling Samba from Source - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

Here is an except from the link:
    Code:
    After you have downloaded the Samba sources from Samba.org, unpack these sources and enter the samba-<version>/source/ directory. Then you need to set the CC environment:
    # export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/<path_to_compiler>/lib
    # export LDFLAGS=-L/<path_to_compiler>/lib
    # export CPPFLAGS=-I/<path_to_compiler>/include
    # export CC=<path_to_compiler>/bin/<your_compiler>
    [...] clipped [...]
    # ./configure --host=i686 --target=mips-linux-uclibc
    As far as ./configure, its just a script and as a result, things are different amount different vendors. In SAMBAs' case, they don't seem to support those options based on this page:
    http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/appe.html

I've never cross compiled SAMBA, but I have run into issues like you are describing ... try following the above instructions, set the LDFLAGS to include "-static" and experiment with "-static-libgcc" also.