Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can I send enter key to a virtual terminal ?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Sending enter key to a virtual terminal

How can I send enter key to a virtual terminal ?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Please explain more clearly what your environment is and what you are trying to accomplish. I can only read your mind somewhat fuzzily... Injecting keypresses into a remove system (virtual terminal) is possible, but not simple.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I am using OpenSuse 12.1. I want to send a command to a virtual terminal and send enter key to execute the command.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by janberq View Post
    I am using OpenSuse 12.1. I want to send a command to a virtual terminal and send enter key to execute the command.
    You need to open the input device of the VT and inject (using an ioctl I expect) a key code (1 or more bytes) into the input buffer. Then you need to enable the appropriate interrupt so that the VT will see the input bytes and treat them as though the keyboard had provided them. I've done this in the past on other Unix and Unix-like operating systems, but not on Linux per se, other than for an X-Windows application (different process than for a console/tty application).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!