Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to c shell scripts and am currently trying to edit a script to include an if statement. I've created: cd $DIR_1 if (-e $DIR_rawdata/file-A*) then script1.pl else script2.pl ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

if statement not working properly

I'm new to c shell scripts and am currently trying to edit a script to include an if statement. I've created:

cd $DIR_1
    if (-e $DIR_rawdata/file-A*) then
    script1.pl
    else
    script2.pl
    endif

If file-A* doesn't exist, then the script stops and gives the output 'no match'. I want it to run script2.pl if this file doesn't exist, and script1.pl if it does.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

Trusted Penguin
    i don't know much about c-shell, but you could do something hideous like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/csh
    # here i assume the full directory path to the file is /tmp/foo/rawdata/file-A.whatever
    set DIR_1 = /tmp/foo
    cd $DIR_1
    set val = `echo ./rawdata/file-A*`
    if ( $val != "" ) then
      script1.pl
    else
      script2.pl
    endif
    Last edited by atreyu; 06-22-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: changed == to !=

Is the file actually called file-A*? I think you should reconsider the use of * in a filename as this is a wildcard, and it could cause a whole number of problems. If you accidentally put a space between file-A and * while using rm, then you can kiss all your files in that directory good bye. I'm fairly sure this is also why your script isn't working.

Additionally, I would recommend using something such as BASH for your scripting needs. Here's a lengthy post on the lack of functionality of CSH: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/
    Last edited by Krendoshazin; 06-23-2012 at 09:07 AM.