Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I'm new to Linux world, And I'll stick with it. Also, I'm willing to take a step farther and get fair experience with Linux administration. So I'll definitely ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A programming language for Linux administration?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Linux world, And I'll stick with it. Also, I'm willing to take a step farther and get fair experience with Linux administration.
    So I'll definitely need to learn a programming language(s) for that task, and that's why I'm asking my question here.

I'm looking for a programming language that I can use to work with Linux, like automating tasks, database backups, and similar tasks.
    I'm coming from Java, JavaScript, PHP & AS3 background.I looked into C and I think it suit me, the syntax looks very familiar to me, what do you think?
    Also, what about python? will it work for that purpose?

finally, my question is divided into two parts:
    1. Is one of the language I used before could be used? I'm pointing at Java and PHP.
    2. If not, because of reason [X]. what's the suggested language for a person coming from Windows & previously mentioned languages?

I think most of you will answer me saying BASH is the right scripting language, but is it the only and "best" solution? because I personally don't like its syntax.

Really appreciate any tip, suggestion & help.
    Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev3rse View Post
    I think most of you will answer me saying BASH is the right scripting language, but is it the only and "best" solution? because I personally don't like its syntax.
    Thanks for reading!
    Yes ... bash, python,

Just Joined!
    So python will do the job?

Just Joined!
    So python will do the job?
    as far as I know you can use python to automate tasks in linux, but i'm still a noob

Just Joined!
    Linux has a utility called "cron" and "crontab" commands to automate tasks which can be called from a shell script.

Of course it's not the only solution, but it is one of the best solutions. It's a fairly simple well designed scripting language that gets the job done. I admit that it's fallen out of favour a bit these days with people using PHP, Python, Perl, and whatever else, but for me it does the job and does it well.