Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Geany to compile a program to load to an ATTiny85 with 8K of memory. I get the following error when compiling and I have no idea what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    Great Barrier Reef -QLD-Australia on a boat

Compile Error -what does it mean?

I am using Geany to compile a program to load to an ATTiny85
    with 8K of memory.

I get the following error when compiling and I have no idea what it is trying to tell me .Can anyone help? Google gets me jobs for Santas elves and a movie review

Code:
    /usr/bin/make (in directory: /root/sketchbook/Standalone_Temperature_Voltage_Logger_v1.0/SATVL_v1.0_Source)
    -------- begin --------
    avr-gcc (GCC) 4.3.2
    Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    Assembling: usbdrv/usbdrvasm.S
    /arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -c -mmcu=attiny85 -I. -x assembler-with-cpp  -Wa,-adhlns=./usbdrv/usbdrvasm.lst,-gstabs,--listing-cont-lines=100 usbdrv/usbdrvasm.S -o usbdrv/usbdrvasm.o
    Linking: main.elf
    /arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -mmcu=attiny85 -I. -gdwarf-2  -Os -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wa,-adhlns=main.o  -std=gnu99 -MMD -MP -MF .dep/main.elf.d main.o usbdrv/usbdrv.o usbdrv/usbdrvasm.o usbdrv/oddebug.o --output main.elf -Wl,-Map=main.map,--cref     -lm
    /arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../avr/bin/ld: region text is full (main.elf section .text)
    /arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../avr/bin/ld: region text is full (main.elf section .text)
    Compilation failed.
    rm usbdrv/usbdrvasm.o
    make: *** [main.elf] Error 1

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I think it means that the generated output of the compilation is too big to fit into available memory space. Are you building this on the device, or are your cross-compiling it on a work station?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I'm not entirely sure what cross compiling means. gcc is cross compiler so I guess I am cross compiling on a work station .
    Certainly I am trying to get a HEX file to then upload to the device, an attiny85 via my programmer . I know it is a tight fit

EDIT - Yep that's it Thanks
    Changed the processor to a bigger one and it compiled fine so I must reduce the program size
    I am not able to edit the first post to mark it [Solved]
    Last edited by tytower; 07-15-2012 at 06:13 PM.

From the top of this thread you may select "Thread tools" and the click on "Mark thread as solved".
    EDIT: Thanks for posting your solution.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 07-15-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: see EDIT:
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks I'll do that
    Just a bit more.
    It turned out that the program when compiled on one version of avr-gcc on Windows produced an object file of 44K and compiled with the preceeding version on a Linux machine gave an object file of 51K . When the linking process took place then , in the Linux version , the program did not fit on the device using the 51K object file