Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all! I'm quite a newb to the C++ world and linux. I know the language basics and what have you however I have never dealt with libraries before, nor ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing and using gtkmm for fedora 17

Hi all! I'm quite a newb to the C++ world and linux. I know the language basics and what have you however I have never dealt with libraries before, nor have installed them. I am planning on creating a text editor using the Gtkmm lib however I'm running into some issues.

Before I did any programming i ran the below lines of code:

Code:
    sudo yum install gtk+
    sudo yum install gtkmm
    Both commands executed without error.

The issue is that for some reason the packages weren't added to my pkg-config tool and I have no idea how to do that. I'm not even sure if they were installed. Should I manually download and install the packages instead?

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by theNerd247 View Post
    The issue is that for some reason the packages weren't added to my pkg-config tool and I have no idea how to do that. I'm not even sure if they were installed. Should I manually download and install the packages instead?
    you probably need the header files for gtk and gtkmm. try this:
    Code:
    yum install gtk[23]-devel gtkmm*-devel

Just Joined!
    Hey! Sorry for the late response but I think that did it. I noticed that the *-devel isn't standard...infact, what's the difference between the libgtkmm*.so.1 file (which I'm assuming is the shared library that I need) and the devel package?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by theNerd247 View Post
    Hey! Sorry for the late response but I think that did it. I noticed that the *-devel isn't standard...infact, what's the difference between the libgtkmm*.so.1 file (which I'm assuming is the shared library that I need) and the devel package?
    i'm not sure what you're asking. But usually, packages with names like foo-devel usually contain header files used to compile the foo software (and get installed to dirs like /usr/include/foo/), whereas packages simply named foo contain the binary (executable) files themselves (and documentation, etc.). Often the shared library files (/usr/lib/libfoo-*, etc.) are also in the same package as the binary, but sometimes they are in the *-devel package, and sometimes they are in their own package, like foo-lib.

and FYI, when you have an RPM installed, you can list the files/directories that it installs with this command:

Code:
    rpm -ql foo
    If you have the RPM file itself, and want to examine its contents, you can do:

Code:
    rpm -qpl foo-x.xx.i686.rpm