Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
For anyone (or any few) following this. I went to campus and used the XWin Server and terminal. I could rsh directly to the cluster using $ ssh -X jeff@clusters.url.edu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

For anyone (or any few) following this. I went to campus and used the XWin Server and terminal. I could rsh directly to the cluster using $ ssh -X jeff@clusters.url.edu.

From there I was able to start a window version of emacs using $ emacs &.

So I guess what I'd like to do now is try to find a way to debug an MPI program.

If I can't do that, I'd at least like to debug the program which calls the MPI program. In other words, if my program uses a library, and that library uses MPI, and I call my program like this $ mpirun myprog, I'd like to at least be able to debug my program, so I can see my program executing.

Can anyone help me do that (maybe this is a topic for a new thread).
    Thanks, in advance,
    J.

P.S. I can't figure out how to make the cluster's "address" not become a link. And I can't figure out how to display code inline (without using the CODE tags, which makes a whole new paragraph. So I used a dollar sgn ($) to indicate Linux prompt and italics to indicate the command typed.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Yes, I think that specific help with MPI programming and debugging is best posted to the "Programming / Scripting" forum.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    Here's my suggestion, which is really just adding on tiny bit of new info since I think almost everything you need it here already.

Install "xming" on your windows system and use that as you X windows server rather than trying to get the X server in Cygwin to work.

And if the "-X" tunneling still doesn't work you can always try something like this.

- start xming (which won't appear to do much but will start a process on your Windows box)
    - start cygwin
    - in the cygwin console window run "rxvt" <-- rxvt is optional in cygwin so you might need to install it, you can use the console if you like, but i find it painful
    - in that window:
    $ export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
    $ xhost +***IP-OF-GENTOO-HERE***
    $ ssh user@***IP-OF-GENTOO-HERE***
    - on the ssh connection to the Gentoo server
    $ export DISPLAY=***IP-OF-WINDOWS-SYSTEM**:0
    $ xclock <-- test that it's working

You might be prompted back on the Windows system to allow the incoming X client to start a window.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2