Find the answer to your Linux question:
Our company currently tests devices through a serial port on a Windows based system. The unit under test (UUT) runs DOS and receives commands from the Windows systems through a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Execute Linux Programs from Remote Windows System?

Our company currently tests devices through a serial port on a Windows based system. The unit under test (UUT) runs DOS and receives commands from the Windows systems through a proprietary program. These commands are then executed on the UUT and status is sent back to the Windows system.

We would like to eliminate DOS and load a version of Linux on the UUT instead. I would prefer not to rewrite the program to receive commands. Is there any off the shelf program that can receive commands from the Windows system via the serial port (maybe using echo) and execute those commands on the UUT?

The two systems are already communicating by using minicom on the Linux side and echoing strings from the Windows side. But minicom only displays the data doesn't execute it.

So far my research hasn't turned up much. I found ssh which appears to be what I want but it uses an internet connection. Can this be set up to use a serial port instead?

Thanks in advance.

agetty provides you not only with a local login, but also can handle serial ports.
    agetty

You would need to login, then the shell of of login user is started (probably bash, but not limited to this one ).

Edit:
    You will need to add the serial device to /etc/securetty
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    OK I now have a terminal opened in Windows that allows me to execute bash commands on a serial console. This is nice but not what I am looking for.

This does not allow me to send commands to the serial port from within a Windows program or even a Windows console. I am looking for a way to send commands from within a Windows program that will execute different diagnostic programs selected from within a Windows program.

Maybe I need to write a Linux app to receive these commands.
    Last edited by pauldemet; 08-30-2012 at 03:44 PM.

I am not sure, I follow.
    If these diagnostic tools are native Linux commandlinetools, then agetty should be good.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Currently the Windows program creates a complete DOS command line and sends it to a UUT with DOS over the serial port. On the DOS machine is a program that receives the command line and spawns a new process to execute the command.

I would like to use the same process but with Linux on the UUT. If possible I would like to avoid writing the program required by Linux to receive these command lines. Maybe this functionality doesn't exist.

If I open a console on the Windows system using agetty, I still cannot have the programs called from within a Windows test program.

Hope this better explains what I need.