Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to write a shell script which start tcpdump and firefox, and then it get blocked there until a signal comes like Code: for () do tcpdump & firefox ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

block and unblock shell script

I want to write a shell script which start tcpdump and firefox, and then it get blocked there until a signal comes

Code:
    for ()
    do
    tcpdump &
    firefox &

blocked here

wait for signal or anything else

unblock

kill firefox and tcp process

do some other things

done
    besides, actually the shell script is wating for a php script finishes some work, is there any good idea for the php script to signal the shell script ?

Linux Newbie
    hi,

use fifo

your shell script reads the fifo (which "blocks" the shell script)
    your php script, before ending, writes into the fifo (which "frees" the shell script, that, then, executes next commands(kill tcpdump and firefox))

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by esolve View Post
    I want to write a shell script which start tcpdump and firefox, and then it get blocked there until a signal comes
    What do you mean by blocked exactly?

besides, actually the shell script is wating for a php script finishes some work, is there any good idea for the php script to signal the shell script ?
    Did you not try the suggestion I made in your previous thread here? Using the Bash trap function and the kill command to send signals will easily do this.